1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 installing right now

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wahooq, Feb 16, 2012.

1. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    So far so good the tech is changing out the swm as we speak....will report back once im fired up and functional

2. Bartman94

Bartman94 Legend

Jan 17, 2012
    The only thing you'll miss is the new HD Guide... everything else about the HR34 is AWESOME including that you can now get rid of your bulky external DECA and/or CCK boxes by connecting your new HR34 directly to your router using an ethernet cable. Also you can expand your hard drive all the way up to 2TB and store more than 400 hours of HD or more than 1,600 hours of SD (if you'd like more details on expanding the hard drive just let me know). In the meantime... enjoy!

3. BigFoot48

BigFoot48 Mentor

Aug 30, 2007
    Mine was installed yesterday and it is a terrific device. After years with a Directv Tivo we thought the learning curve would be stiff, but it hasn't been, and the five tuners is just an outstanding feature.

My installer "had to" install the CCK since it was part of the order, but I will be removing it today (it was "free"). I got a new dish and SWiM and am now good to go for many years of HD viewing (which we really, really like).

4. Bartman94

Bartman94 Legend

Jan 17, 2012
    You bet BigFoot; the installers include those CCK's on the work order because they have no way to know where your HR34 will be located in relation to your router before they get there. And if your HR34 was in a different room than the router then you would need the CCK for your network connection of course. You'll love the HR34... especially the PIP function, the 5 tuners that permanently eliminate recording conflicts, the huge amount of storage space, the list goes on and on - LOL. Enjoy!

5. wahooq

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    yeah its all up and running...glad i know whats going on, the tech wasnt reall knowlegeable...in fact he asked if i could go with him the rest of the day....he did put in a swm16 as i have now 13 tuners all together...but the guy didnt know how to do the dish config...i fixed that for him...didnt know how to do the volume lock for my sound system just little stuff, but would be annoying if i didnt know how to do it myself...nice guy though....i will miss pandora here in the living room untill the hdgui downloads...but i still have it in the game room ...oh well

6. wahooq

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    oh and i went with the hardwired cck due to my office and internet being across the room from my rcvr...

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Though the question is, will the released HD GUI for the HR34 follow the release cycle on the other boxes, or go straight to the Pandora version? It's possible we may get the original HD GUI first, without Pandora.

8. wahooq

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    thats true...havent seen anything about that.... LOVE the five tuners tho...well 7 all together

9. jesmith23

jesmith23 New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    If Ethernet is plugged in directly it will stop built in deca from working.

10. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Not on an HR34, it won't. In fact, plugging ethernet in directly is the preferred method for the HR34, if available.

11. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Wait a tick...so should I skip DECA, and go ethernet on my HR34 and H24 for MRV. I can use my homeplug stuff.

12. wahooq

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    homeplugs are unstable...if you cant run a direct Cat5 connection then stay with the CCK

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Agreed. Homeplug is... ok. I use it for networking some stuff in my living room. But it's no substitute for a CCK.

14. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    K, thanks guys, I'll stick with that then...

15. Bartman94

Bartman94 Legend

Jan 17, 2012
    DO NOT skip the DECA on your HR24 slickshoes as using the ethernet port on an HR24 disables the internal DECA. So even though you will be connected to the internet using the ethernet port, you will disable your Whole-Home functions.

The only model that can use a direct connect to your router is the HR34 as using the ethernet port on it has no effect at all on it's internal DECA.

16. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Well I have a HR34...the h24 is just the hd box we use to mrv.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Think what you meant here was MRV would be going through the router.

Yes only the HR34 can have ethernet and DECA both functioning, but there are still many using ethernet for their Whole Home DVR service.

18. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Not sure about that. While it most certainly works and is supported, I suspect a standalone wired CCK will recover a lot faster than an HR34 after a power failure. If other boxes reboot quicker than the HR34, they may not get a DHCP address from the router.

I can hear the complaints now... "D* didn't install a CCK and now I have to reboot everything after a power outage." :rolleyes:

19. Taintedahab

Taintedahab Cool Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I know for sure that plugging an ethernet cable into any of the hr2x series receivers will inactivated the whole home networking via coax. Am I to understand that the hr34 does not shut of the coaxial networking if an ethernet cable is connected to it? :confused:

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Correct.