1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 Monthly Fee???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mikkeee, Sep 11, 2012.

1. mikkeee

mikkeee New Member

Sep 11, 2012
    I just had my HR34 installed about a month ago and it works great. I then went out and purchased a new Samsung TV (which apparently can pull directv content from the HR34). I have a total of 5 tvs in my house. I've always been charged $6 x 5 and a $6 credit for the primary receiver. All of a sudden my Samsung TV is listed as hardware on my account and I'm being billed the same $6 x 5 with a $6 credit AND and additional $6 for "Home Media Center Monthly for 1 Client". I'm assuming the "1 Client" is the Samsung TV but my HR34 is connected directly to it so I'm feeling like I'm getting double billed for the TV. I know it's only $6 and I'm definitely not a cheapskate but it's the point of it. I called them and asked what the charge is for and they said that there will always be a "Home Media Center" monthly fee but I'm not so sure due to the "for 1 Client" in the description.

So...... is there anyone out there that has the HR34 without a Samsung TV that also has an additional $6 for "Home Media Center Monthly for 1 Client"?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    RVU clients, whether the C31 or an RVU capable television, are billed at $6 per month. Even though you don't have a physical box at the TV, DirecTV is providing programming to that TV, so they bill you for it.

If the RVU TV is connected directly to the HR34, then you should not be charged a client fee for it. If it is a second TV location, then it is charged.

3. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    See if they can remove the client from your account. I agree, no reason to be charged the fee when your HR34 is directly connected to the Tv.

4. mikkeee

mikkeee New Member

Sep 11, 2012
    That's what I thought. I would have no problem with the fee if I was actually using the TV as an RVU client but I'm not and the TV doesn't even have DIRECTV in the list of inputs like I've seen in the Samsung RVU setup guide. The Samsung TV is hooked directly to the HR34 via HDMI but I have an additional piece of hardware (“Non-DIRECTV Client-TV”) listed in the My Equipment section. I called and it seems that the reps (and a manager) don't fully understand what a "Client" is and refuse to remove the charge.

5. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Email Ellen.Filipiak@directv.com That goes to the President's office. Give them your account number, and explain the situation. They should be able to fix it for you. I can't imagine they can't remove a client from the account, but I don't work there either.

6. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    Why wouldn't every one say their client was connected to the same TV as the physical box? Seems like an easy way to save six bucks. DTV has no way of knowing if it's true or not.

7. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Because the Tv is actually activated as a client. Right now, he could move the HR34 to another room and use the Tv as an RVU client. If/when they turn it off, this won't work.

8. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Just call them an tell them you have no home media client and you have no idea why you have the extra charge. Don't mention Samsung TV, or better yet tell them it's a Panasonic :). Just tell them to remove it. A number of people have reported that issue due to lack of knowledge on the part of some CSR who think every HR34 has to be charged a fee for a HMC client. You should have no other charges other than all your receivers minus 1 that is included.

If that fails write to whatshername as other have suggested. Sometimes we provide them with too much information which only serves to confuse THEM.

9. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Very true. I RARELY call in, so forget that sometimes we have to "Play Stupid" with the CSRs lol

10. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    How did you activate your HR-34? Installer or did you call in?

11. MrLatte

MrLatte Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    As a side question, what's the best way to activate a self-installed HR34? Is the only way to talk to a CSR?

12. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Yes, the only way to activate ANY receiver by yourself is by talking to a CSR. You USED to be able to do it online years ago, but they removed that for some reason.

13. Joe Spears

Joe Spears Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 24, 2010
  14. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    This works only if you ordered it from, and had it shipped from, DirecTV. If you are trying to reactivate an older inactive owned receiver, or trying to activate a receiver obtained anywhere else, you have to speak with a CSR. There is no way to do it on-line or via automated phone system.

15. mikkeee

mikkeee New Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Kevin, I did email Ellen.Filipiak@directv.com yesterday and received a call last night from their tech support after they successfully removed the TV from my listed hardware and also noticed a small credit on my account. It's unfortunate that the CSR managers don't understand how their systems work but at least Ellen's office was responsive. Thanks for the info!!!!

16. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I prefer the Access Card department. They seem to be the best at activations getting done the correct way (especially for owned equipment).

17. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Awesome. Glad it worked out for you.

18. MrLatte

MrLatte Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    Do you have any tips on how to reach this department directly?

19. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Why yes I do. Their direct number is 877-887-7994.