1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 & MRV Oddity

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by fluffybear, Nov 23, 2012.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I am on the phone with someone and I have no answers for what is happening.

There environment consists of 2 HR24's and a single HR34. They have a SWM-16 (this has been confirmed). A Broadband DECA is connected less than 5 feet away from the SWM-16 and appears to be operating correctly. One of the HR24's and the HR34 share single leg on the SWM-16 and the other HR24 is serviced off leg 2.

The individual records on the HR34 and it plays back without issues.
    The HR24 which is on the same leg as the HR34 can not playback the program which was recorded on the HR34 through MRV. They get a message after the program begins informing them that there was a satellite problem during the recording and it needs to scan the recording for playable material.
    The other HR24 off leg 2 can play the video without a single problem.

I am asking them to move the HR24's but that request isn't going over well. Any other thoughts or suggestions??

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    In a way, it seems like it might be a software problem if the same content gets different results. Since both can see the HR34 but the near leg one gets a specific error, you might try swapping the HR24s and see if the problem follows.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It should be fairly easy for you to connect the HR24 that currently shares the HR34 output of the SWM16 to the other output of the SWM16 (so that the HR34 is alone on one leg, and the two HR's are on the other leg). Depends though on what, if any, splitters might be currently installed.

Can you detail how everything is connected? From output 1 of SWM 16 to _____ (splitter, how many ports on the splitter, how many unused). From splitter port 1 to ____, from splitter port 2 to _____, etc. Are there terminating caps (not dust caps) on the unused splitter ports? How many unused splitter ports?

Ditto for the other output of the SWM16. Connected to _____ (directly to HR24, to a splitter, again, how many ports, etc.)

Do you have any other DirecTV approved (green label) splitters available?

With that information, we can probably talk you through some reconfiguration to see if we can get things going.

Also, if you have not done so already, unplug everything (SWM16, HR34, both HR24's). Then plug in the SWM16 and wait a minute or two. Then plug in the HR34 and wait a minute or two, then plug in one of the HR24's, wait, then the other HR24. By unplug, I mean the power cord.

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    This issue comes from a family member who lives in Southern California so they are across the country and I am relying on their description of a 73-year old man over the phone and photo's I am being sent.

From what I can tell in the picture and that I am being told - It wouldn't be easy. The rooms where the HR24 and HR34 are located are near one another. The wire runs under the house to a GREEN 2 WAY splitter located in an access panel on the other side of the room. From there the cable feeds an outlet in each room. The lone HR24 though is located completely on the opposite of the house and it's wiring goes through the ceiling.

I have suggested relocating the HR34 so that it could be used on the single leg but as I said before, the mention fo moving equipment creates more of an issue than it's worth.

Port 1 to goes a GREEN 2 way splitter where the Broadband DECA is connected to the power passing side. side 2 goes up into the ceiling and back down the wall to a wall outlet about 25 feet away and the the lone HR24.
    PWR goes to Power
    Port 2 goes down under the house to an access panel where things such as the Phone companies NIC are located as well as a GREEN 2way splitter - Side one goes to one room while side 2 goes to another (I have no idea which the HR34 is located on)

PWR is connected to PWR
    Nothing else is connected from what I can see and have been told.

I have been advised that they are and were installed by DirecTV earlier this year when DirecTV installed the HR34.