1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR34 Pandora Total Disaster

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sammib, Apr 22, 2013.

1. sammib

sammib AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    Listening to Pandora on my Genie is virtually impossible. Songs constantly get clipped off after 15-20 seconds or stop playing completely. Otherwise the HR34 works fine. Have reset it and have the most current update. Pandora still lousy.

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    I think this is a common problem with a lot of people. Not sure what the problem is but as a side note I have been having this same issue with a Grace Radio as well.

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    That might be a function of your LAN. If the data does not reach the decoder fast enough there will be buffer underflow, and the audio will stop and wait when that happens, possibly not resuming at all. Of course if you can watch download video on demand this proves your LAN is probably OK, and that it is more a function of the DVR not handling things well.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Pandora requires at least 150kpbs so if you have the slowest DSL connection (512kbps), you should still qualify (assuming your not getting a lot of competition for Internet bandwidth on your LAN).

5. tazman

tazman Cool Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I agree it is useless. My other Hr24's do just fine. I have a 30 meg internet and check it constantly and it is always spot on. The 34 is the only unit in the house that does this !

Agggh !!

6. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    The fact that you cannot view video while using the Pandora app on the HR34, as you can with the HR2x boxes, makes it useless to me on that platform.

7. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    It got so bad on my HR34 that I just quit trying to use it at all. I now listen to it through my ROKU and have absolutely no problems with it at all.

8. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Agree.

9. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The Genie used to be just fine with Pandora but something did change recently, either in the DIRECTV software or at Pandora. I hear songs being cut off part way through or Pandora stop completely. I have a 15Mbps down connection and a Pandora paid subscription.

The RVU. clients also have an issue when changing songs it will quickly show one song in the floating box then change again to another song. I've reported all issues to DIRECTV and hopefully they'll fix them one of these days.

10. Podkayne

Podkayne Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with this Pandora listening issue...songs will clip off after about 20 seconds or so and the next one may start, or it just quits playing altogether. For now, I can fire up my Samsung Blu-Ray player and its Pandora app continues to work fine. Like most workarounds, it's a bit inconvenient, but at least I can listen to Pandora with no issues with it.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You cannot view video at the same time on the HR20's either.....its only HR21's -24's currently.

12. teedo

teedo New Member

Jul 26, 2013
    NorCal
    I am having the same problems with my new Genie receiver. It will play 2 to 3 songs then I get dropped back to regular TV or it will play 1, 2 or 3 songs and then freeze in the middle of a song and I will have to push forward/next on the remote, to go to the next song, in order for it to continue playing music. My previous receiver would play music for hours without any sort of problem. This is getting very frustrating, for being newer technology you think this would work better or at least as well as the older equipment. :bang :flaiming

13. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Have you rebooted your receiver at all since getting it installed? Somtetimes this is simple fix. Other times, not so much...

14. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Agree.. PS3, xbox360, BD player all works flawlessly, fire it up on the 34 and its a disaster. Cant say im surprised though.

15. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I just tried it on the HR44, and all I saw was the Pandora logo in the small window screen (where you normally see live tv) while listening to music, I just switched off and use the HR24 instead, I like watching and listening at the same time.