1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 reliability

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rene_hernandez88, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1 of 22
    rene_hernandez88

rene_hernandez88 Cool Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Hey everyone! I'm new here but I think this is the best place to ask this question..
    Is anyone having a good experience with the HR34?
    I called and asked and they told me they could give it to me for $75 dollars on a contract extension but I'm hesitant because from what I read on forums is has a lot of problems.
    I was wondering if that is the case for everyone, or just the ones with problems have come out to tell them?

2. Jun 3, 2012 #2 of 22
    Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Mine's working fine. I've moved all my series links to it.

3. Jun 3, 2012 #3 of 22
    lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Mine has basically been hassle free. A quirk here and there but really no big deal. No missed recordings (knock on wood).

You have to realize that this forum has a lot of people that really know their business and thus some things that don't bother me or as far as that goes, don't even know are incorrect, they pick up on right away.

What's really great is that those one or two things that might not have worked correctly were answered by the pros here and corrected almost immediately.

Go for it.

4. Jun 3, 2012 #4 of 22
    usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Ditto. I got mine Feb 11th and love it. Some quirks but they have/will get fixed. All in all, a very good machine.

5. Jun 3, 2012 #5 of 22
    caseyf5

caseyf5 Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Bethpage,...
    :sunsmile:
    Hello rene_hernandez88,

I have had my HR34's since the end of March. My feeling is that they are a workhorse model capable of a great amount of use such as recording, playback on your existing TV or even having other TV's watch what has been recorded if you have the proper setup (whole home). The problems are due mostly to new firmware/software attempting to add new features. To be fair models that have been around a much longer time are still having their firmware/software updated. When you add some new software it is possible to break something and that needs to be fixed. See the laws of unintended consequences. My opinion is take the offer as it is one of the best that I have heard offered to any existing customer :sunsmile:.

6. Jun 3, 2012 #6 of 22
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    The HR34 is a very good receiver and is well worth the $75 that you were quoted.

7. Jun 3, 2012 #7 of 22
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Same here
    No HR34 issues.
    Sometimes a little slow in the guide, but I've never had a lock up, I only rebooted once after a Software update, going on 4 weeks now.

8. Jun 3, 2012 #8 of 22
    jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    My HR34 has become the workhorse of my system. To date, I can only remember it missing one recording.
    I wish I had two of them.

9. Jun 3, 2012 #9 of 22
    rene_hernandez88

rene_hernandez88 Cool Member

Jun 3, 2012
    You people are amazing! I'm calling tomorrow to get myself one =]

10. underlord2

underlord2 AllStar

Dec 1, 2006
    Performance and bugginess wise, is this a much better receiver than the hr24 series in your opinion?

11. snappjay

snappjay Legend

Jul 16, 2010
    A perfect world would be HR24's performance with HR34's capabilities.

So far, my HR34/700 has been a damn mess. Every page down request on the guide takes 1-5 seconds to respond, whereas my HR24 was instant. My series recording requests take 10-30 seconds before response. Changing channels takes about 1-2 seconds longer, 4-5 seconds longer if going between SD/HD. I have the newest firmware according to the sticky above. WAF is at an all time low due to the 2 year commitment.

This is just my experience. Yours may be different.

12. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Try a menu restart on you 34, it may help with some of the delays.

13. snappjay

snappjay Legend

Jul 16, 2010
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot.:D

14. stevec328

stevec328 New Member

Apr 27, 2012
    I've had mine about three weeks and no issues. There are a few bugs they're working out but it works fine. No missed recordings and I'm really enjoying the five tuners. I think it's a great receiver.

15. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    A few things to work out, but it's an awesome box.

You complement the 5-tuner 1TB PiP DVR with H25's and 3 MRV streams, along with nomad, and it's the perfect setup. I have two. They record everything in sight, with never a conflict, and you can take recordings on the road as well.

For me, nothing else compares, and it will only get better as the firmware matures.

16. amh84

amh84 Mentor

Apr 19, 2010
    Rio Rico,...
    Used mine extensively over the weekend with no issues. PiP works great.

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    There are some issues, quirks, with the HR34 but nothing I would say should keep anyone from getting one. In time these little quirks will get fixed.

I too wish I had another one.

18. BrianB

BrianB Mentor

Jul 12, 2003
    Same here. It does everything I ask but it's so darned slow...

19. ponchsox

ponchsox Cool Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I've had mine for 24 hours. So far the only two negatives:

1. Fast forward x3 and x4 doesn't seem to work properly. I end up missing the start of my program after commercials. I am going to start using the 30 second jump instead.

2. Twice my recorded playlist disappeared (have whole home active with another DVR). After a reset the list reappears. Not sure what is causing this, maybe the unit is still programming itself since the install was yesterday?

20. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    This is an ongoing issue where the playlist is not updating properly or DVR's will just drop off the HR34's playlist. I sometimes also don't see recordings on other DVRs in progress show up on my HR34 until the recording is done. Not a deal breaker but sure will be nice when it's fixed.