1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 reliable for most?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sjord7, Feb 21, 2012.

1. sjord7

sjord7 Cool Member

Sep 2, 2007
    I was wondering how most people are finding the HR34 - is it reliable? I'm seeing people complaining about missed recordings (which would be about the worst). But I'd like to hear what most people are seeing as far as reliability. If everyone is having issues with missed recordings, then I'd consider the HR34 to be worthless until that bug is fixed.

I currently have the super slow HR20, no SWM. I keep seeing that people are getting a $100 CCK forced on them, and I have a router right there, with the Ethernet cable already going to the HR20.

If I get a HR34 - do I need a new antenna since I don't have a SWM now? I don't have, nor do I want any more receivers, just the one in the livingroom is fine - but the HR34 would be nice with the larger disk drive and the 5 tuners. I'm not familiar with the SWM, but read a little about them.

2. Bartman94

Bartman94 Legend

Jan 17, 2012
    A SWiM system is required for the HR34, so if you don't currently have a SWiM installed, then D* will install one for you.

The external CCK unit is completely unnecessary with the HR34 regardless if it's your only receiver or not... as long as your HR34 is next to your router where it can be connected directly using an ethernet cable. So if you order an HR34 tell D* that you have no need for the CCK.

There are several background programs that need to boot up and get running after the HR34 is activated. This process normally takes between 3 - 4 days to be fully completed, so you may have a few slight performance issues (slow guide, playlist, search response times, etc) for the first few days. After that I personally haven't had a single issue with my HR34 and it has never missed a recording.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Because it is relatively new, HW & SW-wise, it is the most unreliable of my receivers.

4. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    You're the lucky one. My wife has set-up multiple recordings in the last week, of which there have been a few that failed to record.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There are certainly issues with it, but the good thing is that DirecTV is constantly working on the software for their receivers, at least the Hx series.

6. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    As it stands now reliable would not be the word that I would choose.

7. huskerhead

huskerhead AllStar

Oct 27, 2002
    +1

8. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    I have had my HR34 for about 2-1/2 months now. Though it has had some issues, I have not missed a recording until this week. The missed recordings were "canceled by unit". Unfortunately, no one in the household will fess up that they cancelled them so I assume that the 34's artificial intelligence is evolving.
    As I have always backed up recording options, the missed recordings were captured with other DVR's.
    I expect that all will improve as time progresses and would not deter myself nor anyone else from enjoying the HR34.

9. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    It IS the receiver. This is happening to me quite a bit (And I'm the ONLY one who uses the receiver). I've remedied this SOME by just checking out future showings of programs and telling it to grab 3 or 4 future showings if available. Figure at least ONE has to actually record lol Plenty of space, so if it does grab 3 or 4 copies of the same program, I just delete the extras.

10. T-Mac

T-Mac AllStar

Feb 16, 2012
    So are people recommending potential new customers like myself NOT to order the 34?

At just $99 I thought it would be the obvious choice, but I'm concerned with all the problems that are being discussed.

11. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I don't have a HR34 (yet), but have been keeping up with their progress through the bug reports here. I would predict that in two or three months, these units will be solid enough for the vast majority of customers.

You will need to decide the level of improvement necessary before you purchase. If an occasional missed recording is a show stopper, then you probably want to wait at least for the next software download before jumping in.

As a new customer that can get it for $99, I think it would be worth the wait for it to improve to the level you will be happy with.

12. BigFoot48

BigFoot48 Mentor

Aug 30, 2007
    We've had our 34 for a week, and other some delay in menu switching, apps not working, all in the first few days, it has been working perfectly, and would not trade the five tuners for anything! We added an AM21 and love having local recordable OTC in our guide. (We don't subscribe to locals.)

13. Bartman94

Bartman94 Legend

Jan 17, 2012
    Again I'm not sure why so many are having issues. Maybe I just got lucky with mine, but I haven't missed a single recording and I have more than 70 series links on my HR34. In my opinion the HR34 is absolutely worth the upgrade.

14. Skiman

Skiman Cool Member

Nov 19, 2008
    There are some minor software issues that are being tended to as quickly as possible, but like others, I haven't had any issues with mine (and I've had mine up and running for over 2 months).

The question everyone keeps asking is "Is it worth it?" That's an individual question that each person can only answer for themselves. Do you need the ability to record 5 shows at once? Are you short on storage space and need 1TB? Do you really REALLY need PIP? Are you planning on purchasing RVU clients in the immediate future? If the answer to these questions is "no", then you really don't need an HR34.

15. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Nice summary. But I'd have phrased the highlighted one above as "Do you need the ability to record more than 2 shows at once?

16. sjord7

sjord7 Cool Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Thanks for the replies everyone. While my HR20 is very slow, I could use at least another tuner, and the way they move the shows schedules around at the networks, we always have to check for conflicts to see if more than 2 are on at the same time. Plus doubling the storage space, as well as being able to record 100 series is very nice (we're right at 50 right now - and have to delete shows that are off season, only to add them back later)

One thing that is nice - I do like the way DirecTV keeps updating the software and making improvements years after a product is released. I know I got the HR20 when there were still a lot of bugs, and previously people weren't happy with them at all. Within a few months, the updates fixed most of the issues I'd seen. That was many years ago now. What other company provides updates for that long? Not for my phone that's for sure!

Hopefully the HR34 issues will get cleaned up in the next few months.

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    For me no, what with four HD DVRs and one HD STB here connected with WH.

This and that this box seems too buggy right now to be costing $399.00 for only a lease. Add to it that there are no RVU clients available yet besides investing in an entirely new expensive Samsung's TV set to even use it most salient feature.

No, I can certainly afford to wait on this unit. :nono2:

18. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    No. The deal is great. We just warning you that the ride won't be 'perfect.'

19. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Have had mine for 2 weeks tomorrow. Have not missed a recording. The only problem is that if I turn it off, the only way to get it back on is a RBR, so I don't turn it off. Am sure that it will get fixed shortly. When one uses a RBR it takes 3-4 days to fully come back from all the things that it needs to do. It is fast, reliable and has a ton of recording room. All in all, extremely happy with it.

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What exact model is that HR20 you keep mentioning? HR20-xxx should always be used rather than just HR20, I think. The 20-100 and 20-700 are two very different beasts.

Rich