1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 resets HDMI when I try to play any PPV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gully_foyle, Feb 24, 2013.

1. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    For about the 20th time, over several firmware releases, I tried to watch a PPV tonight on my HR34. And again when I hit play, my Denon (routing all A/V, see list below) dropped the HDMI link. I had to cycle "standby" on the HR34, and hit menu and such as it came back out to avoid an RBR.

Tonight's movie ("Argo") was pre-downloaded, but as yet unpurchased (I never got so far as the "please pay" popup). Eventually I gave up and used my backup HR22, as usual.

Maybe the new 0x67c release will fix it, but I'm thinking hardware and a truck roll. Any suggestions before I do that?

2. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    1. new hdmi cable
    2. remove the A/V reciever from the setup and see if it occurs

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    First, make sure that your HR34 is set to deliver only 1080i/p and has native set to "off". This reduces the HDMI handshake requirements and might solve the problem.

Next, as wingrider suggests, connect the HR34 directly to the TV and see if that works. If it does, then you've almost certainly hit one of the HDMI compatibility issues that are unfortunately relatively common with some of the Denon boxes.

4. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    1) It is in 1080i/p mode and always has been.
    2) The HR21 has no such problem and never has.
    3) Considering how many Denon receivers there are in the world, the forum would be chock-a-block with complaints like this if that was the issue.

I will try changing the HDMI cable and/or Denon port. I am unwilling to use TV sound, nor am I willing to complicate my setup with multiple paths to the TV, so bypassing the Denon is a non-starter.

I can always watch videos on Amazon.

5. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    there are a lot of reports of issues on the net - and not bypassing the AVR reciever is the one diagnostic test that would point the finger right off the bat - if it does not fail with the reciever disconnected you have your culprit