1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR34 rewind and fast forward issues.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by KoRn, Jan 27, 2013.

1. KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    I thought it would work itself out. Especially with the latest firmware update. This problem is so annoying. It makes me want to throw this HR34 out the window when it happens. It happens more often then not. Other times. It works perfectly fine. Regarding recordings. Issue. When I fast forward at 3x. It ends up way ahead when I hit play from where I see it should resume. If I rewind. It ends up to far back. Some times when fast forwarding and rewinding. The picture will not even move for a few seconds. Then once it kicks in. Its either to far ahead or to far behind. What is the deal with this thing? My HR24-500 in the bedroom is perfectly fine and never had this issue. Other then this problem. The genie works great and I really do like it. But, at this point. Directv has had over a year to get this thing working good. Its pathetic right now a issue like this is still happening apparently. Did I get a bad box? The HR44 is not the holy grail and answer like so many others think. Once again you will have to deal with a buggy box and firmware until Directv gets it right. Just when they do. A new one comes out. Rinse, repeat and recycle.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Something to try / experiment.
    Instead of pressing the Play button, press the rewind button and slow it down to FF2 and then again for FF1 and then once more and it will be on play.
    That sounds like a long time but I do this sometimes on my HR23 you can do this quickly.

I do not have the problem you have so I do not know if that will work for you.

3. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Whats your address? When you throw the Genie out your window, I want to be there to get it. ;)

On a serious note, I only experience that fast forward and rewind issue when I'm watching content from the remote DVR. And it happens on my HR34 when watching show recorded on my HR22 and vice-versa.

1 person likes this.
  4. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    The same thing happens with my FiOS DVRs as well - when watching something that was recorded on a different DVR.

5. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    I use 30-second skip instead of FF to get through commercial breaks. I can very quickly buffer up 6 or 7 skip button pushes and the recording jumps to that location. Works well for commercial breaks. That really the only thing we do to navigate since we never use FF or RW.

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Auto correct on the HR34's has been an issue for a long time.

7. paulj1x

paulj1x New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I have the same problem, 2X and 4X jump back just the right amount, but 3X is always a problem. On some of the older models the speed and how far you jumped back used to be programmable, any way to do this for the HR34?
    Some people have claim that resetting the HR34 fixes this, onmine it seems like it might make it a little better but certainly doesn't fix it.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    No, not programmable, but I've found that using only 3x, I've automatically adjusted as to where to let the button go.

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That has never been the case/ at least not since the HR20….