1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 setup assistance please

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Wyannuzzi, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1 of 16
    Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    Hi all

My current setup is as follows:

Living room: HR23-700 with CCK attached
    Family Room: R22-200
    Master Bdrm: H21-100
    Bdrm 2: H21-100
    Bdrm 3: H23-600
    Bdrm 4: HR22-100

All but Bedroom 4 are on whole home DVR (since it has it’s own DVR). I am thinking of replacing the Family room (R22-200) with the HR34. The Living room is my main TV and the kids usually do not record to it. The family room is shared by my kids and is where most of their recordings go, which is why I need the HR34 there. Is it simply a matter of swapping the receivers in the Family room or does the CCK also have to be moved from the Living room to the Family room? Is the setup I describe the “best” way to be set up.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Jun 6, 2012 #2 of 16
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The CCK shouldn't need to be moved.
    You have a lot of tuners, so swapping a dual tuner DVR for a 5 tuner DVR requires a check to make sure the SWiM output isn't over the 8 tuner limit.
    The DVR that isn't part of the DECA networking should have a bandstop filter.

3. Jun 6, 2012 #3 of 16
    Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    old,

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by 8 tuner limit? I currently have 9 tuners and I have the 16 SWiM switch in place. With the 3 extra tuners gained in the swap that would give me 12 tuners. I should be OK, correct, or does DIRECTV have some kind of limitations with the number of tuners you can have?

4. Jun 6, 2012 #4 of 16
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I was hoping you had a -16.
    The -16 has two outputs, each with an 8 tuner limit.
    This means "the worst" is you'd have to move the coax from the HR34 to the other output "if" the current coax is connected to the output that already has more than three tuners.

[​IMG]

5. Jun 6, 2012 #5 of 16
    Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    Thank you very much for your responses veryoldschool, very appreciated. Now for the fun part and trying to get the HR34 for lesss than $399

6. Jun 7, 2012 #6 of 16
    Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    Old, is there such a thing as a SWiM 12 setup. It looks like I have what is in your diagram except one of the SWiM splitters only has 4 outputs.

7. Jun 7, 2012 #7 of 16
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    One quick way to find out is - GO to your online D* Account - (Click)technology- (Click) -receivers- IF the HMC says "Available soon" That will mean it will cost you $399 from an online retailer, As you won't be able to order it from D* or get any deal as it's NOT offered in your Location at this time.

8. Jun 7, 2012 #8 of 16
    byroan

byroan Cool Member

May 31, 2012
    Is that true even if I were to call? It says available soon for me.

9. Jun 7, 2012 #9 of 16
    Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    Even though it states unavailable online, they said I can get it, best price they can give me is $199.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    No. If it looks like the diagram, then you have a SWiM-16, with two outputs that can support eight tuners each.
    If you have a splitter without enough ports, then simply changing it to a larger splitter allows for more tuners, but you still can't exceed 8 tuners on any output.

11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Should you wait - then you should be able to get it for $99 :)

If not $199 is not bad for additionla 5 tuners ;)

12. Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    Recieved an email from D* today to give them a call, they have a limited time special offer for being a valued customer. So I called expecting to be offered free HBO for 3 months or something similar. The rep starts by asking me if I am looking to upgrade my equipment. I tell him as a matter of fact I am looking to upgrade to the HR34. He says let me crunch numbers and see what he can do.

He comes back and states he can give it to me for $300 off which would make it $99 plus $49.00 installation fee. Before I can say yes, he tacks on another $50 for HMC Client Install, which isn't a deal breaker for me. I ask him what that extra $49 was for (wasn't sure what he said it was for) and as he is telling me, before I can say anything, he says he will credit my account $50. He then tells me he can also give me $10 off a month for 12 months for free HD.

So in summing up, he says for $200 now, he will credit my acct $50, and give me $10 per month credit for 12 months....I immediatly say YES, schedule it and he throws in that he can also offer me the NFL Sunday Ticket at 50% off. 4 payments for $25 each. I tell him yes to add it on since I was planning on renewing it anyway.

Tech is coming Saturday to install it. I love my D*!!!!

13. rene_hernandez88

rene_hernandez88 Cool Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Mine says available soon online as well... Just call and say "cancel", when the retention agent answer don't ask for a discount.. Just ask how much would it cost to cancel (if you are under a contract) or if you cancel how do you send the equipment back.. The immediate question they will ask is why are you leaving, and this is what I said
    "my current plan will cost me $87 for six months and $140 for free at Dish. I also called before to upgrade to the HR34 and get the Sunday ticket and they wanted me to pay $700 dollars plus taxes and installation. Dish if offering me a free Hopper (which they are for a limited time), and they are throwing the Redzone channel for free, an that's the only reason I want the Sunday ticket. I will even save money paying your cancelation fee."

The rep starting trying to convince me, he got me the HR34 for $99 and the Sunday ticket max for $200 (which I find it acceptable because I been with D* for a year and half only and I got it for free the first year, I do have the premier package though). He also got me $43 dollar credits for 6 months.

Tell me if it works. I find that is easy to bargain with them when they think you are considering another option already.

14. Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    Rene, see my last post (the one right before yours), I got a fantastic deal (I think)

15. rene_hernandez88

rene_hernandez88 Cool Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Yeah you did! Can wait for football season to start!

16. sat4r

sat4r Godfather

Aug 27, 2006
    Willow Park Tx
    Icalled to order an HR24 and what I received was a HR21 200C R from retention.I called back a few days later and as the person reading the notes said "here is was Im going to do I am going to schedule you a HR34 install and a 49.00 credit nocost to you" . Not a bad deal at all...............