1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR34 Upgrade - Need a Parts Shopping List

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by o2manyfish, Sep 11, 2012.

1. o2manyfish

o2manyfish Cool Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Hey Guys,

I have an HR34 ordered. I have a existing 5lnb on the roof, with a 4 lines that run into the wiring closet. I currently use a pair of HR21/100. Both are connected to internet via ether. Not currently using Whole Home.

So I want to replace one of the HR21 with the HR34. But it appears I need to change how my wiring works, so I need to go with a Swm configuration.

After some reading it seems I need the following items on my shopping list:
    1) 5lnb SWM (LNB only no dish needed)
    2) SwM8 Multi Switch
    3) Power Injector.

So it seems with adding the 3 pieces of equipment listed the HR34 should start working. But what do I need for the HR21? Do I just run 2 lines to it? or do I run one line and then split it ? This is what is confusing me. What other pieces do I need to buy?

And the other secondary issue, is this HR34 update is going on the front of the first story of the house.

The second story back of the house uses a second dish to feed the upstairs receivers. These HD DVR are connected via ethernet to the house network.

If I connect the new HR34 to the Ether will it do whole home with my upstairs DVR's ?

Thanks in advance,

Dave B

2. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    SWM LNB is a multiswitch and LNB in one. You cannot use a SWM LNB and a SWM 8.

If you're doing this as a DIY just order a SWM 8 and connect the 4 lines from your dish you have now into it. Then use a 1x2 splitter to run 1 line into the 34 and the 21. The PI is on it's own cable since you'll have it in a closet.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    One or the other, but not both.
    Not a supported configuration, but yes it will work.

[/QUOTE]

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    To be clear, there is an LNB with a SWM built in, and a different one that allows you to use an external SWM. The one with the SWM built in will give you a maximum of 8 tuners, while if you go with an LNB and an external SWM, you can upgrade later to a 16-tuner SWM or even more with additional parts.

5. o2manyfish

o2manyfish Cool Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Okay,

So I need an SWM 8, the power injector, and a splitter. And my old HR21 can work off of a single cable ?

Dave

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes it can. You will need to take the B-Band converters off. Also, to communicate with the HR34 you will need a DECA attached to the back. If you don't want to communicate with it, you will need a Band Stop Filter on the back