1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR34 upgrade Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by pogo, Oct 9, 2012.

1. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    My setup is a slimline5 feeding an 8 port switch. Currently in service are an R16, HR10-250, HR21, and HR22. Eigth ports -- eight tuners. The TiVo box, as you may imagine is acting like it's not much longer for this earth. I don't really want to patch it again so I'm looking at my options.

Looked at just replacing with an HDDVR or an HR34. Current offer for the HDDVR is $199. It irritates me to pay the same fee for the std dvr as an hd, but the cost of two new HD boxes gets to the same cost as an HR34. (I haven't yet talked to CR about any better deal. I got the HR21 for free and the HR22 for $99, so I don't know how inclined they'll be although I am a loyal customer since 1997.)

The HR21 is the only professional install I've ever had, and as I recall the compatible (mine wasn't) multiswitch was included in the install.

The plan for the HR34 would be to decommission the TiVo and the HR16 for a monthly savings of $6. Still leaves me with nine tuners, however. So looking at the cost of a SWM16 if I have to buy it the HR34 is a non starter. Would a professional install include the SWM16?

Thank's in advance. It took me quite a bit of reading just to figure out what I need. I don't care about MRV (or to put it another way, I already handle that function myself.)

2. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    Yes.

3. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Yeah they would come out and run the additional lines and provide the SWM16 as well. I would give them a call to ask because there may be a $49 install fee you never know. If your getting a HR34 though, maybe they will waive the install fee.

4. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    The wiring is already in place -- eight runs of RG6. From what I can see I'll have to call to buy the HR34. My thought was worst case see if they'd waive the install fee.

5. Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519 AllStar

Oct 15, 2010
    Doesn't matter if the lines are ran or not swm 16 has to be installed because hr34 only works on swm and requires only one line