1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR34 vs. HR24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dshinnick, Jan 3, 2012.

1. dshinnick

dshinnick Mentor

Dec 1, 2010
    I'm interested in the opinions of those of you who have experience with both systems.

I understand the technical differences; I'm more interested in the user impressions. How's the UI feel? Responsive? Any differences between the two? If I sat you down in front of one and didn't tell you, could you identify the type? Are you glad you made the swap?

Thanks!

Dave

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    For right now, if the 24 has the HD GUI the difference is immediately seen. That's temporary though.

I think over all, until you see things like more than shows recording at once, more than 50 shows listed or PIP, it'd not be really obvious.

This is assuming we can't see the box itself.

3. phoneman06

phoneman06 Mentor

Feb 20, 2005
  4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have both. When they were both running the SD GUI, they were comparable in speed most of the time. The HR34 seemed a little pokey when recording 5 things and serving 2 MRV streams. But then again an HR24 can't do that at all.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Is that maxed out or can the 34 do even more? I haven't been following the threads about the 34s because I don't see how they would improve my system.

Rich

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Max 5 tuners in use either recording or serving Live TV to HR34 or RVU clients
    Max 3 MRV streams concurrent.

You're right, you're not an ideal candidate for an HR34. It's a great device for someone who wants to consolidate to fewer boxes.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Always feel kind of "left out" when things like this happen. :)

Rich

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    The 24 has the serious RF remote problem: Many users, certainly not all, including myself have severe input problems with the unit on RF. Some kind of RF interference issues or something, nobody knows the answer. IR and iPad remote works fine.

This issue has not surfaced with other units to date.