1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR34 Whole-Home Internet Connectivity Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hornmdt1, Sep 25, 2013.

1. hornmdt1

hornmdt1 New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Charlotte
    Does anyone know which way you get the most speed into your Whole-Home network on Internet connectivity? By that I mean which is better, by connecting my router directly into the RJ-45 Internet connection on the back of my HR34 Genie server which then provides Internet connectivity to all the other DVRs in my Whole-Home setup (I only have DVRs (4 including the Genie)) or by connecting my router directly into the central Cinema Connection Kit that also gives Internet connectivity to all the DVRs in my Whole-Home setup?

I have read that it hoses everything up if you connect it both ways and nothing will work so you have to use one or the other so I'd like to hear if anyone has tested both ways and knows for sure if one way is better than the other to gain better speed for immediate watching of a movie, etc. without having to wait for it to first download. Right now I have it connected directly to the Genie but also own the little Cinema Connection Kit should that be the faster way to connect it.

Thank you in advance.

2. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    Either way should work fine. Do whichever is easier for you and you are correct, don't do both.
    Should be no difference in performance, either way.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    +1

No difference (or at least there shouldn't be) just don't try to connect both simultaneously.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you are just referring to the internet connectivity piece for VOD, it really shouldnt make a difference....if you are actually talking about MRV performance, isolating your home network traffic from the Directv video traffic should yield better performance for your home network and possibly better MRV(whole home viewing)since the video traffic would all be on the DECA network if you have it done by the book.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Yes two connections to your home LAN does not speed things up.

There is no difference in performance with either a Genie or a wired CCK connection.