1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR44-500 w/RC71 - Annoyance with channel change...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by p0wd3r, Jul 16, 2013.

1. p0wd3r

p0wd3r New Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Hello all, new to the forum and to DirecTV again (had them, then cable, then dish, now DTV again), and I have the new Genie HR44-500 with the new RC71 remote. The receiver is awesome and so much faster than anything I've used before with any of the TV services. I only have one small annoyance, and I hope someone here can help me with it, since my googling doesn't seem to be able to find the answer.

With my crappy DishNetwork VIP622 (they refused to upgrade me to the VIP722, even though I went through 3 of those 622 units before I gave up!) I was able to pause a show, then resume, etc... But when I would change the channel, it would warn me if I was recording. I have 3 young kids that love buttons, so this was a very useful nag screen. Now with my new DTV setup, and the RF remote, I pause a show, I sit on the remote or one of the kids presses a button and BAM! My show is no longer recorded and I lose where I was.

So, my question is, can I set it up so I can have a pop-up warning if I change the channel while I have a show queued? Or is there some way that I can return to the previous channel and have the recording resume? It is quite frustrating, and it happens quite often (probably more than it should) but I cannot find any way to resolve it. I've been through all of the menu options I could find to no avail. Please help! And thank you!

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    There's no option for a nag screen but you can press the RECORD button if you're in a situation that might end up with an inadvertent channel change.

You could also press the down arrow to activate doubleplay and set both tuners to the same channel. That way, if the channel on the first tuner is changed, the show is still being buffered on the second tuner.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Just set series recordings for everything you watch. Never miss anything no matter what that way.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Sounds like you are not actually recording the show you are watching when the channel gets changed. If you were actually recording it and all tuners were in use, it would warn you.

5. p0wd3r

p0wd3r New Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Bummer on the no nag screen. :( The double play might work, I'll see if I can get that going. Don't really want to record everything I watch, because I don't want to wade through everything and delete it all, or does the Genie manage that pretty well?

Not recording, just pausing, which is recording, but more like a buffer I guess?

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, diff strokes, but every time there's a talking head I want to listen to, I go into List and clean up the first couple of screens. Sorted by Last recorded, first to List, of course. Easy and clean.