1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR44/C41 Genie system installed today, a few questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by fgrogan, Jun 15, 2013.

1. fgrogan

fgrogan Cool Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Install took a long time (8:30 am to 2 pm), but almost everything is up and working fine. Basic recap of the install/updates:

• Existing system was 2 HR21 HD DVR's, 1 HR24 HR DVR with AM21 for off air channels. SWM dish/multiswitch. Whole House DVR/Internet access.
    • Added (for free) 1 HR44 Genie DVR and 3 C41 Genie Mini clients. Only installed one client (per original DTV phone rep, "you don't need to activate the clients". Installed said he can't leave without equip being activated. Call DTV and they put 2 clients "on 6 month vacation hold". time will tell)
    Overall post install impression is the HR44 receiver is really really fast to respond to change via remote. C41 client is really small and easy to install behind wall mount tv in master bath. PIP on HR44 works really well, but not much time surfing channels and using the HR44. Update in a few days.

Open issues/Questions:

1. Installed said he had never seen a AM21 before (I've had it atleast 5 years or so). Otherwise seemed very competent and nice guy. Problem is there is no power cord with the HR44 to handle the AM21 since it needs its own cord. I called DTV after reading on here about how "DTV CSR will send you new cord..". Guess what, no dice. They tried to sell me a new AM21 for $50 and when I pushed back they offered to credit me $30. No thanks. What is the best way to get a new power cord/power up the AM21?
    2. One possible use for my 2 remaining C41 Genie clients is to use to connect an old color tv in my workshop. Its circa 1984, 13" sony, but still works and its free! lol. When reviewing the C41 connections, it support HDMI, composite and component...but how to connect C41 to an old coax/RF connector only TV?

2. IndyLions

IndyLions Cool Member

Sep 3, 2006
    For old TV, you'll need an RF modulator box. They used to be common. A/V input on one side coax on the other. Connect it to your antenna input on your TV and tune to Channel 3 or 4...

3. IndyLions

IndyLions Cool Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Just curious - how did you get all that equipment for free? Do you spend $500 a month with DirecTV or date the Chairman's daughter? :)

4. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You can buy the power cord for the AM21 at places like Radio Shack or new egg if you like to buy online

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Um, he should have left you the dang power cord that was connected to the am21. Monoprice has them cheap I think. Plus target, RadioShack etc likely have them for not more than $10.

6. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm shocked they left you with 2 C41s on a "vacation hold" that doesn't sound like DirecTV to give out 2 boxes they could give to someone else and immediately start collecting $6 a month from.

7. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I wonder if the am21 would take the power cord from an old hr2x?

8. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    This is done all the time.

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY

there are two types of these power cords. once has all rounded edges and the other one has one straight edge. not sure which one the AM21 takes, but you can easily make one fit the other with some shaving of the rubber plug

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006

Yes

11. fgrogan

fgrogan Cool Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Ohio
    LOL, neither. I never asked for it, but called in a few weeks ago to CS and asked them to send someone out to check dish alignment because picture and/or audio was cutting out irregularly on our family room HD DVR. In the course of that conversation the CSR said "since you have been such a long time customer (early 1997), you are eligible to "upgrade to a Genie at no charge". I was vaguely away of the Genie, but figured it was the same old $200/receiver "upgrade" as in the past so I didn't pay much attention for now as adding new TV's and DTV receivers is not top of my list. Well, the CSR made it clear it would cost me $0 and I asked/reasked many many times until I was confident that was the case. One Genie 5 tuner server and 3 clients for $0.00.

Only then did I agree. then I was passed to the quality control person to finalize the order (seems like a strange step simply to keep their front line CSR's in check) and she confirmed that the tech would bring the equipment for no charge, but would need to activate all clients. Then i could call back the same day and deactivate the clients. So basically I agree to move forward with a net addition of one receiver (Genie Server) for $6.00/month. They charge you $6/month regardless of the receiver type.

Need to run to a meeting, will update rest of story in a bit.

12. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Can a C41 connect to an older SD set that has the Red, Yellow, White pin-type (RCA ?) inputs? It also has an S-Video input. If so, what type cable should I order in advance? I don't even see the coax jack on the TV, if there is one. BTW, it'd just be a temporary arrangement to get everything installed.

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Can a C41 connect to an older SD set that has the Red, Yellow, White pin-type (RCA ?) inputs? It also has an S-Video input. If so, what type cable should I order in advance? I don't even see the coax jack on the TV, if there is one. BTW, it'd just be a temporary arrangement to get everything installed.

Yes it can. The installer will provide a "C31 Composite cable dongle" or 10 PIN connector.

14. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Thanks. Can I be confident the installer will have one when he comes, or should I ask? One more question, will the c41 display caller ID from the hr44, so I can eliminate the phone line going into my old DVR?

15. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    My installer yesterday had the AV cord to connect C41 to a legacy TV with composite video and L/R audio jacks.
    The C41 relays Caller ID from the HR44. There's no phone jack on the C41.

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks. Can I be confident the installer will have one when he comes, or should I ask? One more question, will the c41 display caller ID from the hr44, so I can eliminate the phone line going into my old DVR?

Well, I can't vouch for the installer, but they are supposed to have then on their trucks.

17. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Thanks!

18. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    I also had a HR44 installed today as a replacement for my HR34. No issues with the installation but my installer didn't do anything with the wireless. I am connected to the Internet in the same manner as the 34 so I am wondering what is the wireless used for and is there any advantage to using it over the way I am connected now?

By the way, we never had to enter my routers password but when I checked the network settings all tests passed and network addresses were present.

I am a total novice with these set ups so thanks for any thoughts.

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I also had a HR44 installed today as a replacement for my HR34. No issues with the installation but my installer didn't do anything with the wireless. I am connected to the Internet in the same manner as the 34 so I am wondering what is the wireless used for and is there any advantage to using it over the way I am connected now?

By the way, we never had to enter my routers password but when I checked the network settings all tests passed and network addresses were present.

I am a total novice with these set ups so thanks for any thoughts.

You were probable using a Broadband DECA device. You are better using a wired connection than the inferior wireless counterpart

20. fgrogan

fgrogan Cool Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Thanks, I'll start looking for one.