1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR44 - Dolby Digital Output

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TorinTPG, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1 of 20
    TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    Does the Dolby Digital setting actually change audio the Genie is outputting? The reason I ask is twofold :

1) I read somewhere that it didn't make a difference on the output format ( ie 5.1 vs stereo. etc) and it would just allow for my receiver to show the Dolby decoding logo on the receiver. The end result is the same either way (insert audiophile argument here on "same")

2) I'm not happy with how the Genie handles sending the dolby digital signal to receiver. On my old hr22, it would continue to "send" the 5.1 dolby signal even while paused or fast forwarding. On the Genie, it seems to lose the 5.1 signal when pausing and fast forwarding, so the receiver changes to a different decoding method. When I resume the program, it switches back to 5.1 and results in several seconds of lost audio while the reciever is switching back to 5.1

Thanks

2. Sep 3, 2013 #2 of 20
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Does the Dolby Digital setting actually change audio the Genie is outputting? The reason I ask is twofold :

1) I read somewhere that it didn't make a difference on the output format ( ie 5.1 vs stereo. etc) and it would just allow for my receiver to show the Dolby decoding logo on the receiver. The end result is the same either way (insert audiophile argument here on "same")

2) I'm not happy with how the Genie handles sending the dolby digital signal to receiver. On my old hr22, it would continue to "send" the 5.1 dolby signal even while paused or fast forwarding. On the Genie, it seems to lose the 5.1 signal when pausing and fast forwarding, so the receiver changes to a different decoding method. When I resume the program, it switches back to 5.1 and results in several seconds of lost audio while the reciever is switching back to 5.1

Thanks

The settings are different. One outputs 2 channels of info the other 5.1. Where did you hear they where the same? The key if course depends in the source material as well. If the source is two channel it will still just pass two channel. But when the source is 5.1 it will make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

3. Sep 3, 2013 #3 of 20
    TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    I read it on a forum, but it was probably just an ill-informed post

Any way around the issue in number 2? Sounds like it's just the way the Genie handles the 5.1 source material

4. Sep 3, 2013 #4 of 20
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When my HR24 is FF or paused the sound shown on my Yamaha will switch from Dolby Digital to Pro Logic and then back again when the sound resumes.
    On my H21 if it is muted the same as stated will happen on my son's Yamaha.
    I think it is a function of the AV receiver and not of the DTV receiver.

5. Sep 3, 2013 #5 of 20
    TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    Could be, but my HR-22 did not seem to do this. If we would pause, it would stay on Dolby Digital

6. Sep 3, 2013 #6 of 20
    adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    Something is different and possibly wrong. My issue is not like the OP's though I believe. My speaker setup through the receiver is set to custom, with back speaker set to off. Never did that speaker show up as "on" in the front display prior to the genie or maybe even last firmware release. It is doing this on certain channels. Rechecked my speaker set up and back speaker (not rear L or R) is in fact set to off.

Im using direct coax out from HR44 to the AV receiver.

7. Sep 4, 2013 #7 of 20
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I don't know if this is related to the issue, but recently (within the past week or so) I noticed my AVR displaying "DolbyDigital EX" instead of just "DoblyDigital" when I tuned to CNN. I had to Google it to see what it was. No other channel that I've noticed shows the "EX".

All my devices, including the HR44, run HDMI to my Pioneer 1020k AVR.

8. Sep 4, 2013 #8 of 20
    adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    My issue noticed first on CNN. Unsure actually if I seen my issue elsewhere.

9. Sep 4, 2013 #9 of 20
    adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    Dolby Digital EX= 6.1

Like what I am seeing on my receiver too, even with that speaker set to off in custom setup.

10. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    Something is different and possibly wrong. My issue is not like the OP's though I believe. My speaker setup through the receiver is set to custom, with back speaker set to off. Never did that speaker show up as "on" in the front display prior to the genie or maybe even last firmware release. It is doing this on certain channels. Rechecked my speaker set up and back speaker (not rear L or R) is in fact set to off.

Im using direct coax out from HR44 to the AV receiver.

My receiver worked on dolby ex with both my hr22 and genie. It's simulated, but it does a pretty darn good job

11. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    I just wish the Genie handles the audio over hdmi like the hr22 did

Maybe I should try the optical?

12. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    So is CNN now broadcasting in Dolby Digital 6.1?

13. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    Can't imagine that they are

14. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Maybe Directv is testing Dolby Ex with CNN. I wonder if anyone has seen it tested on any other channels.

15. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    I have my receiver set to dolby ex and it up mixes all 5.1 to 6.1 and does a pretty good job of it. I think this is more likely the case than CNN sending a 6.1 source

16. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    My Pioneer is set to only display the EX if its source. I'd think it could be 6.1 source but maybe the 6 th channel isn't being used? That would make CNN a good choice for testing. This is all just guessing on my part,

17. jerelect

jerelect New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    ABC broadcast lastnights football game in EX 6.1

18. Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    That's interesting since abc didn't have a football game last night. They had NASCAR.

19. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    That's interesting since abc didn't have a football game last night. They had NASCAR.

:lol:

20. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I love these posts...... nahhhh