1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR44 freezing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Dradran, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Dradran

Dradran AllStar

Apr 21, 2010
    We have a HR44 with 2 C41 clients. When we wake up in the morning the HR44 it's unresponsive. It will not turn on with the remote our the front panel. The clients are also unresponsive. We have also experienced the HR44 turning itself on randomly. The only way to make the HR44 work again is to rbr.

The only thing that changed was we received the new rc71b remotes. On the HR44 we went back to the original rc71.

I also tried a clearmybox from the smart search in case it was corrupted guide data.

Any suggestions?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would start by doing a BISTest. See if there are any HDD issues

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You might also reset the new remotes. There are threads on that.

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Since the units are unresponsive from the front panel as well, I doubt this is a remote problem

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    How is the network (internet) connected? Wired directly into the HR44? Anything else?
    Try disconnecting that for 24 hours and see if it helps.

I have observed network connections when there are IP conflicts or other issues taking alot of DVR resources and making them very slow to appear unresponsive.

6. Dradran

Dradran AllStar

Apr 21, 2010
    Ped
    How does one perform a BISTest? Search for it in the smart search? I am not home right now.

The HR44 is connected to the internet by the direct tv wireless bridge. I can check for conflicts.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
    * When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
    * You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
    * Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
    * If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What wireless bridge? Model number please....

9. Dradran

Dradran AllStar

Apr 21, 2010
    My bad, I forgot the HR44 is wireless. That is how it is connected. No bridge.

10. Dradran

Dradran AllStar

Apr 21, 2010
    The internal hard drive test fails the threshold test with a code of 301d. Is that bad? I have not executed a long smart test or surface test.

Please advise.

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Any failures are not a good sign. Time to give DirecTV® a call for a replacement

12. Dradran

Dradran AllStar

Apr 21, 2010
    That is what I figured. One last question. If I bought an external HD and transferred the shows will it work with the new HR44?

13. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    No.

14. Dradran

Dradran AllStar

Apr 21, 2010
    As I remember reading a while ago. It was wishful thinking that it was possible. Thanks everyone for the help!

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thousands have and do wish for it, but it hasn't hatched....

I would do the repair cycle as I turned in for the night.

Best of luck!