1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR44 Genie self install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by PeteB, Feb 6, 2014.

1. PeteB

PeteB Cool Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Falcon,...
    What we've got:

3 LNB SlimLine
    SWM8, circa 2008
    two 2-way splitters
    blue-insert F couplers
    two HR24-500
    HR21-200
    HR20-700
    PHONCON with D* stating that we are eligible for a free Genie upgrade

What we additionally want:

HR44
    RC71 :barf:
    SWM16 & new power supply
    2-way splitter
    No one arriving at a "random" time to disconnect everything while the Olympics are recording

I also understand that an appointment to have an installer show up with "ah Genie" in no way guarantees a 44 vice 34, and despite my trepidation about the new remote, it is pretty clear that the 44 is the one we should want.

We've moved once since first subscribing, and other than the dishes at both houses and the HR21 that the first installer brought, everything else has been self-procured and self-installed, including WHDVR/MRV (on cat-5e).

So my questions are:

Are there versions or revisions of the SMW16 that tune more quickly than others?

Is there truly no difference between the HR44-700/500/200, including ease/issues with upgrading the internal hard drive? (I would never violate a contract.)
    All three have Wi-Fi that can bridge WHDVR/MRV network to the InterWebs (temporarily)?

With whom do I speak to get the above gear we desire just shipped to us, saving D* a truck roll and me from their bad timing? I would also be willing to just go pick it up locally somewhere.

If you guys want to start another circular discussion about 34 vs. 44, that's fine with me, as I have a bit to add.

Thanks!

2. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The SWM16 is all the same, tuning speed is set by the receiver

To the best of my knowledge there are no significant differences between the manufacturers of the HR44. You said you will never violate a contract, therefore upgrading an internal HD is a moot point. External drives work great. The WiFi is for connecting internet to the DirecTV network, I doubt it will work for WH.

With everything you need DirecTV will never just ship it to you. You could obtain ti from a 3rd party such as Solid Signal but that would not be free. You may be able to get a credit to offset some of the "purchase" cost but there is no guarantee.

3. PeteB

PeteB Cool Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Falcon,...
    Sorry, I should clarify the Wi-Fi question.

I have all DVR's networked to each other on a NETGEAR GS116 switch, to which the Genie would also be connected, but a wiring problem has spontaneously appeared preventing it from connecting to our router.

So until I can resolve this problem, can I connect the Genie's Ethernet port to the switch with the DVR's while simultaneously connecting it wirelessly to the router, thereby bridging all DVR's to the internet?

4. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I dont think that will work but I am not 100% sure. I know if you are using the supported coax networking then you can use the WiFi to connect internet to all the receivers but I dont think both WiFi and wired Ethernet can be active at the same time. Personally I would switch to the supported coax networking, all you would need are DECA modules for the HR20 and HR21

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep, you can use either one but not both, connecting an ethernet disables the WiFI

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I agree, there is no way DirecTV will just ship everything you need. I also agree totally with advice to switch over to coax networking, then the HR44 can absolutely be the bridge for internet access to all of your other devices (whether you connect it wired or wireless to your LAN).

If an installer shows up with a 34, you can ask for a 44 and if he doesn't have one you can cancel or reschedule. But as noted, there is no guarantee of what model you might get without buying (leasing) from a 3rd party vendor.

Unless you can somehow find a legitimately owned HR44 someplace (very unlikely) to buy (or pay DirecTV "full price" to own, whatever that is), you can't replace the internal drive without violating the terms of service. The hardest part about replacing the internal drive is removing the cover without damaging it, I think there are some threads on this forum someplace about doing that.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    unfortunately DirecTV is not for DIYs. However, the good news is that there are a websites dedicated just for folks like yourself. It won't be free tho!

www.solidsignal.com
    www.eBay.com