1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR44 HR24 Whole Home DVR broken

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by logdy, Sep 18, 2013.

1. logdy

logdy New Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Phoenix
    Hi.. 1st post.. I just received my Genie and installed it Sunday. I moved my HR24 to the bedroom. Went through the installs and the Genie and HR24 work well on their own. But I can't see either from any DVR. My Hr 24 now has the wireless connection kit hooked up. I also can't get to the internet from the HR24.

I used to have the HR24 and the older (non-DVR) working well with the whole home working well with the non-DVR unit.. It seems like this is a real crap shoot getting the damn HR44-HR24 to work..

2. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    Under Whole Home - it says you are authorized right?

Go under Menu -> Settings -> Whole-Home -> Status and see if it says "Whole-Home DVR: Authorized"

Also - logon to Directv.com and look at "My Equipment" - make sure your Genie says "Genie HD-DVR" and not "Unknown Device".

If it says Unknown Device - you need to call Directv and see if they can get it changed to a Genie HD-DVR.

When you only have 1 device recognized in the system, DTV will not authorize Whole Home since you only have 1 Whole Home capable receiver.

This could be the problem - but there could be other issues as well - would need more information about how your receivers are connected to better help you troubleshoot.

3. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Is there any way you can connect Ethernet directly to the HR44? so that you can get coax connection to the HR24 from the SWM system, don't think you can connect a wireless kit to the HR24(I could be wrong) which has built in deca, which doesn't play well with MRV.

4. logdy

logdy New Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Phoenix
    Thanks.. I found the problem. My older HR21 had the DECA attached for whole home. I did not remove it when I moved the HR24 and re-installed.. The HR44 and HR24 are now happy with internet connection and whole home! I looked at some Google wiring diagrams and found my error... I have the Cinema kit in series with the HR24 and it works great!

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Since the HR44 has WiFi built in, you dont need the wireless CCK

6. logdy

logdy New Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Phoenix
    does it hurt to leave it in? I thought I had to use the CCK for wireless? Do I need to go back and reconfigure my HR44 for wireless? It says connected now but is that through the CCK or through the HR44 built in wireless?

7. filthyfun

filthyfun New Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Don't use the original wifi kit now. Disconnect it and reconfigure internal wifi on hr44. The two will eventually conflict if used on the same swm system.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes remove the CCK and use the the HR44 built in wireless

9. logdy

logdy New Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Phoenix
    Thanks all... I pulled the cinema kit. Now use the hr44 wireless... It works great!

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome. Thanks for the update.