1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hr44 installed. Hearing static

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bhigh8, Jun 29, 2013.

1. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I had a hr34 and it had so many glitches. Dtv sent a tech out to look at it and he just said that they have lots of issues and he would just put in hr44 since its new and see if that fixes the issues. Just had it put in today so haven't tested it much but when I change channels I hear static and sometimes popping noises. Any idea what could cause this.

I unhooked cables and reconnected but still does it. Was going to change out hdmi to see if that helps but its the first dvr I have had do this.

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    How, and to what, are you connected?

3. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I am only connected to tv thru Hdmi. I do have whole home dvr and cinema kit. None of my other tvs have ever had this popping noise. Including this tv. This tv was connected to hr34 and hr24 previously.

It only happens when I channel but it sounds bad. And worries me that something bad is going on.

4. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    Yes, I get that, too. Every time I change the channel. About 98% of the time, I'd say. It should be silent, but it's not THAT bad. It's not like a loud POP sound that you imagine would damage a speaker, just a mild pop pop.

5. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What TV? AVR involved?

In any event, switch back to another DVR on it to isolate the problem. It may or may not be the 44.

6. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    It's a Samsung. Not sure what avr is?

7. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Sometimes the pops are quieter and sometimes quite a bit louder. Not like a speaker but I can hear it very easily for 15 ft back.

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    AVR: Audio Video Receiver.

9. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    no. I do not have that connected. just the HD DVR to the TV. nothing else right now. not sure how this can be happening.

10. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You may have missed this.

1 person likes this.
  11. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Well it has had plenty of receivers on it and it never made a sound. And I have a hr24 and two hr22 s that don't have this issue either. The hr34 didn't have the static issue. Just other glitches.

12. DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    I was hearing the same thing on mine the first few days I had it, haven't been hearing it lately.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Turn off Dolby digital and see if it makes a difference.

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, I understood that. But equipment can change. If Stuart's cure doesn't take, you could learn something by putting back one of the receivers that had worked in the past.

15. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I will give it a shot. Dolby was already off so I tried turning it on. Seems to still do it. Will try a different receiver. And maybe Hdmi. Also will switch Hdmi to a different port on back of tv.

16. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    well, I changed to a different receiver and there was no popping. I changed hdmi's, I even changed the hdmi port I was using. still have the popping. called Directv and they are going to do some research. they opened a "case". we will see what that does. I really don't want to have to get a tech out. just want to enjoy it.

anyone else had this issue. and what did you do to fix.

17. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Now this genie is acting up sometimes can't play paused video or go back and watch recorded shows. Hr44 seems better but still has tons of glitches.

18. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    maybe you got a lemon and needs replacing because I also have the HR44 Genie with no issues, Ahh shucks I jinxed myself :)

19. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006

20. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    That could be possible but I had just had a hr34 that was replaced and was junk. It's possible but that's two lemons in a row.