1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR44 remote stopped working

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LawHawk, Apr 3, 2013.

1. LawHawk

LawHawk Cool Member

Mar 8, 2013
    I've had my HR44 for less than a week. In general I like the new remote... except that it stopped working for no reason. It worked perfectly for the first few days. Then, while I was fast-forwarding through a movie, it just stopped working entirely.

Now it doesn't work for the DVR or the television. Replaced batteries with brand new ones - no effect. Restarted the receiver - no effect. Called DTV and they're sending me a new one.

I didn't drop it and didn't misuse it in any way. I'm very curious what happened and curious whether others have had the same problem. I've had (I think) six DTV receivers/DVRs prior to this one, and a remote for each, and I've never had a problem like this with the "old" remote.

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    If you have a cell phone camera, turn it on, and then look at IR window on the end of the remote as you press a key and see if remote is activating. You'll see purplish flashes if remote is working.

(seems like someone posted the new remote does IR and RF at the same time)

I have also looked at DirecTV receivers when they are programming a remote and I can see those flashes with my cell phone camera too.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Did you do a reset on the remote itself?

4. LawHawk

LawHawk Cool Member

Mar 8, 2013
    I tried this and saw no purple flashes. I then tried it with my old remote and my tv remote and still no flashes. So maybe I am doing it wrongly.

5. LawHawk

LawHawk Cool Member

Mar 8, 2013
    I did not know this was possible. How do you do it?

6. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Factory reset Directv remote

Point the remote away from the receiver and components

Press the "Select" and "Mute" buttons together and hold them until the light on the remote flashes 2x

Press "9," "8" and "1" .The light on the remote will flash two times. All functions are now reset.

7. LawHawk

LawHawk Cool Member

Mar 8, 2013
    This worked! You win the award for knowing a solution that the DTV tech support people didn't know. Outstanding. Thank you very much.

8. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Glad that worked, you are welcome.

I learned from others here and happy to pass it along.
    dbstalk will often times be your best bet for help.