1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR44 remote

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by slo_dave, May 31, 2013.

1. slo_dave

slo_dave Cool Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Got a new "free" Genie installed last Saturday. I was lucky enough to receive an HR44. I was not in the room when the installer unboxed but I noticed later the remote was the same as my HR24. I believe its an RC65

Aren't they supposed to come with a RC71?

Also, since I kept my other HR24's he had to install a SWM16. Are these ok to be mounted outside, it's actually hanging off the back of the dish with zip ties.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    some markets don't have the RC71 just yet. and yes the SWM16 can be outside

3. Jun 4, 2013 #3 of 21
    kosh56

kosh56 AllStar

Sep 30, 2007
    Is this true? Why wouldn't the remote come in the HR44 box? I use a Harmony One remote and forgot to even ask about the remote until after the installer left, but he did not leave an RC71. I was going to call to ask for one because I would like the option of RF.

4. Jun 4, 2013 #4 of 21
    peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Is this true? Why wouldn't the remote come in the HR44 box? I use a Harmony One remote and forgot to even ask about the remote until after the installer left, but he did not leave an RC71. I was going to call to ask for one because I would like the option of RF.

Because DirecTV stopped putting the remotes with the receivers because it was a waste if a tech had to replace a brand new receiver or even upgrading and the customer had a remote that was n good shape, they (customers) felt that they were entitled to the remote because it simple came it the box. Now remotes are given out as needed

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

5. Jun 4, 2013 #5 of 21
    kosh56

kosh56 AllStar

Sep 30, 2007
    Umm... yeah.
    Why shouldn't we expect to get the remote? Especially one that is completely re-designed and results in missing functionality (RF).
    If it was the exact same remote then fine, whatever. But, it clearly is not.

6. Jun 4, 2013 #6 of 21
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would cal DIRECTV and ask for a Genie Remote. You do get a lot better RF performance, although you miss out on having a stop button, a dedicated play button, and color buttons. But the nice thing is the Genie will obey both IR and RF at the same time so you can use both remotes (the long white one in IR mode only of course.)

7. Jun 4, 2013 #7 of 21
    HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Will the RC71 remote come in the box if I ordered an HR44 from a reseller (Solid Signal or Weaknees)?

8. Jun 4, 2013 #8 of 21
    Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    It should, but probably worth checking when you place the order. All 3 receivers (a HR24-100 and 2 H25-500s) I have ordered from Solid Signal came with remotes. The boxes are labeled on the outside as to whether they include remotes or not.

9. Jun 4, 2013 #9 of 21
    gripesofwrath

gripesofwrath New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Carson City
    I just got an HR44 via WeaKnees last week, and it came with the RC71 remote.

10. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    And I got one from SolidSignal that included the RF remote. There was a small sticker on the outside indicating this.

I must say that RF remote is really fast!

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    yes, receivers that are sold through retailers include remote controls. is only replacement receivers from DirecTV that does not.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

12. DolphinGirl

DolphinGirl AllStar

Jun 10, 2006
    Can someone explain what the HR44 Remote basically does?

Is it both RF and IR?

On my current remote (RC65) I use RF to control the TV and Receiver and Infrared to control my Audio/video receiver. Will the RC71 do the same stuff?

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Change channels.....

Yes, the RC71 can be set to RF for the HR44 and IR for the TV and AVR

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, and yes.

Some folk abhor the fact that it has no Stop button, and that Pause and Play are the same button; mileage varies. I'd prefer the newer, smaller remote to have them, but the absence for me, at least, is no biggie.

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    First, you mean RF to control the DIRECTV receiver and IR for the TV and AVR.

And the major technological difference of the RC71 is that it's RF mode uses the new RF4CE ("ZigBee") remote control protocol.
    http://docs.zigbee.org/zigbee-docs/dcn/10-5726.pdf

That's the reason for its faster speed, range, and reliability over the previous DIRECTV remotes on RF mode. And for its incompatibility with the RF control of all other DIRECTV receivers except the HR44.

16. DolphinGirl

DolphinGirl AllStar

Jun 10, 2006
    Thanks for all the info (especially the fact that the RC71 actually changes channels!)

So, I can still control my TV and AVR via Infrared and the HR44 via RF.

Is there any way I can control the volume on my Denon AVR -3802 via RF as well? Would one of those Infrared Blasters work with the RC71?

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    If your Denon AVR has an input for an IR satellite receiver device, I don't see why not.

18. dennisdh

dennisdh Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    FYI hitting the exit button actually works as the STOP button.
    Now what we really really need is back ligh for the rf71

19. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    If the rest of your house has the rc65 remotes, then it was likely to keep you from having mismatched remotes. I know that that's something the would drive my wife crazy(er).

20. drgonzo_42

drgonzo_42 New Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Owensboro, KY
    Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I just upgraded to the Genie and was installed yesterday. I received (1) HR44 and (1) C41. I removed the batteries from the old remotes thinking the installer would take them with them, as I was returning (2) H24. He asked my why batteries weren't in remotes and I replied that I took them out because I assumed I would be getting new remotes. He advised me (as he stated he advises all customers) that the new remote is available to me, but to just keep my old remote, since you are already used to it. Then I suggested that I was looking forward to the new remote, because I wanted the RF signal and wasn't worried about learning new technology and I am a fast learner. Then he tried to advise that the signal of the old remote was better. I wasn't buying and insisted that I wanted the new remote, so he ended up giving me (3), one for the HR44, C41 and even my HR24 that I had moved to the master bedroom.

For some reason he seemed persistent not to give me the new remote. Anyway, I'm glad I stuck to my guns, because I like the RC71 much more then the old. The RC71 seems quicker and more responsive; with the old remote it seems that I had to try several had positions to get a good signal to receiver (especially when sitting at angle from receiver) and alot of times had to press button a couple times before system responded.