1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR44 streaming to how many hr24s?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pjwinstalls, Jan 27, 2014.

1. pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls Mentor

Oct 14, 2008
    Currently I have 7 HR24s. If I have something recorded in Room1 and Room2 is streaming a recording from Room1, Rooms 3-7 can't watch anything off of Room1 because it can only stream to 1 receiver at a time. If I get a HR44 would I still be stuck with that limit or would that be able to stream to multiple HR24s at the same time? how does it work? I searched couldn't find an answer to this question.

Thanks!

Philip

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The HR34/44 Genie DVRs can stream to up to 3 remote DVRs/Receiver simultaneously.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Note that if you add an HR44 to your current setup, you'll exceed the 16 tuner limit of your SWM16 (7x2 + 1x5 = 19 tuners).

4. pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls Mentor

Oct 14, 2008
    if it is streaming to 3 DVR simultaneously, how many things can it be recording at the same time?

1 person likes this.
  5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Five. It has five tuners to record from and that has no bearing on how many recorded shows it can stream. You can be recording five things streaming three different recordings to remote units and can watch another recording of something else that's previously recorded on the 44 itself and you could even be downloading an on-demand show to Genie as well.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    to make your life easier with how many units you have id probably replace one of your HR's with the Genie and one of the other HR's with an H25 or at least shut down one of the HR's to one tuner instead of two to keep yourself at the 16 tuners.

7. pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls Mentor

Oct 14, 2008
    I have two smw16s cascaded together so I have 32 tuners available. I am good to go.

8. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    When did this happen? Please explain how to use 5 tuners for recording and 3 for simultaneous streaming (your scenario implies 10 tuners). That capability is not listed anywhere. Unless there is something I wasn't told, the limit is 5 tuners for streaming and viewing total (plus 1 download). Max of 3 streams + 2 recordings = 5 (implies you cannot watch anything else while recording, except a show being recorded).

If this is true, then I've got some great news for some people. They won't believe me, but it's pretty awesome. If it's true, you'd think DirecTV would have made it very clear on the website and marketing materials.

-=K=-

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I think that by "streaming" it was implied that these were previously recorded programs and NOT live recordings....so the information posted is correct.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    WHDS streams must be recorded (either previously or concurrently). The streaming process itself does NOT consume a tuner (but the recording may).

If you've put yourself in a situation where you're recording two channels on a WHDS client and want to watch something live (that isn't recording already), you'll have to set it up to record on some other WHDS enabled DVR (not necessarily the Genie) first and then stream it.

RVU clients are a different situation as they can request live tuner service from a Genie.

11. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Tuners can only do one thing at at time. The three turners playing recordings can not also record. The Genie has five tuners.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Tuners are not used to play recordings at all so this doesn't make sense.

And you can playback something while It's being recorded.

1 person likes this.
  13. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I think you misunderstand.

In your situation with no minis the tuners will never be accessed by anything other than the genie itself.

You will only ever be watching recordings on the other units. It can allow for up to three recordings to be streamed to other devices at any one time. It has nothing to do with the five tuners.

And since you can watch a recorded program on the hr44 as well while it's recording five other things and because it can download something on demand at any time as well you can have 10 things happening at once. But it's still only using five tuners.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I think the confusion is that your reading about a full genie system. Yours would not be and therefore all your clients would have their own tuners and never use a genies tuners.

A full genie system is perfect for anyone that never sees more than five things on at the same time they want to see total, live or recorded, and has four or less tvs.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You sure they're cascaded? Most installs are paralleled.

Rich

16. LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy Mentor

Sep 11, 2007
    Coastal...
    How do you shut down one of the 2 tunes on a HR20?

Thanks

LPB

17. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Go back through the Sat Setup to specify only 1 tuner. Only on HR2xes, not Genies.

18. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When you repeat the satellite set up menu, there is a spot that says "tuners" select SINGLE

19. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
  20. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    I have 7 hr24's and 1 genie and I can record close to 19 channels at the same time, but that was viewing on only 1 tv.