1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR44 - "This episode was canceled because of its recording permissions. (15)"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LiQiCE, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1 of 42
    LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    Has anyone had this error - I noticed my HR44-700 skipped a recording but my HR24 got it - and when I looked in the History, there are a number of recordings that say "This episode was canceled because of its recording permissions. (15)"

This happened to 3 recordings so far. It is recording other things just fine too.

The three recordings were - Ultimate Spider-Man on Channel 292 (DXDHD) at 5:30am on 9/3, Anger Management on Channel 248 (FXHD) at 8pm on 9/5, and Formula One Racing on Channel 220 (NBCSHD) at 8am today.

The interesting thing is for Anger Management it recorded the next airing of it at 9:30pm on the same channel. So it isn't a Parental Control issue or a channel thing and I don't think it would be Authorization issue since Anger Management worked right after.

I was not recording anything else at the same time. Genie Recommendations are off.

Parental controls are turned ON, but there are no restrictions (I just use it to hide the Adult Channels).

So - my settings for Parental controls are Hide Adult, Allow X, Allow TV-MA, TV Content is "All Allowed", Allow No Rating, No Channel Blocks, Allow Web Video, and $0 spending limit on Pay Per View.

BTW- Incase anyone cares, I am using 0x740.

2. Sep 6, 2013 #2 of 42
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Do you have your recording options set to "First Run"?

3. Sep 6, 2013 #3 of 42
    LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    Yes but all three recordings were first runs. The Anger Management recording was a First Run and it ended up recording at 9:30pm instead of 8pm. The Formula One Practice was also a First Run, and my HR24 has the same recording options for First Run and it recorded.

4. Sep 6, 2013 #4 of 42
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I got a similar message when I tried to hit record on a Disney show in my buffer on my HR21 about a week ago. Said I did not have the right to record. I changed the channel and back and was able to record. I lost the buffer, though. Only saw it once.

5. Sep 6, 2013 #5 of 42
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I've seen similar errors when the guide data changes after you have already set your recording preferences. Is it possible that the original air date was changed in any way? Or some other key piece of information that made your receiver think it should not record those episodes?

6. Sep 6, 2013 #6 of 42
    LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    I guess it is possible - but I don't think thats the case at least for the Formula One Practice because my HR24 recorded the Formula One Practice and both are set to the same thing in terms of Recording settings.

7. Jun 4, 2014 #7 of 42
    2muchtv

2muchtv Legend

May 26, 2007
    Bumping an older thread. I have gotten this error several times recently for different shows and different DVR's. The only common thing I see is that these are shows that come on every weekday. I changed the recording preference to "Both" instead of "First Run" in case there is goofiness going on with the guide. Unfortunately, it always seems to be my wife's shows - and it is giving her (me!) fits.

8. Jun 5, 2014 #8 of 42
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
  9. Jun 5, 2014 #9 of 42
    2muchtv

2muchtv Legend

May 26, 2007
    I hadn't thought about that. I'll check when I get home. Is MSNBC one of the supported channels?

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    No.

11. 2muchtv

2muchtv Legend

May 26, 2007
    It's Genie only as well. I apologize - I bumped an old thread related to this issue that was started by a Genie user. This is happening on my HR24's.

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    no is not. it affects HR2x as well

13. mike17hirsch

mike17hirsch New Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Henderson, NV
    "This episode was canceled because of its recording permissions" (15) just happened to me on an HR24-100.

I have ESPN World Series of Poker set to record the series and while it recorded the first episode tonight, it did not record the second episode.

There was nothing else recording at the time and I had set the options to "First Run" which both of these episodes were.

Based on above, I have changed the option to "Both" so it will record First Run and repeats - is that the way to resolve this issue? I am not aware of the time/date changing for these episodes - WSOP is always a Tuesday night broadcast.

Thanks for any advice.

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I think you've got it. Sounds like the Guide data from Tribune Media Services was incorrectly tagged.

15. Insomniac2k

Insomniac2k AllStar

Aug 21, 2007
    Just happened to me tonight with Major Crimes. It was in the todo list 2 hrs ago and then I look at the playlist and it's not recording. Same error in topic. What in the world? Is it related more to scheduling? I had 3 shows scheduled to record at 8c, did it just get confused trying to work out the schedule against multiple airings. Similar situation the last time this happened. This is an HR24.

16. pujoe1

pujoe1 New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    This happened with Major Crimes for me also. Then tonight it happened again with Rizolli and Isles. Can't trust the system now.

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, welcome to DBSTalk anyway! :)

Were those re-runs or first showings?

18. Insomniac2k

Insomniac2k AllStar

Aug 21, 2007
    The first time it happened was with Rizzoli & Isles for me last week, and again last night. They were all first run. The crazy part is that after this happens, it ends up doing nothing. You can just go in and hit record, there will be no conflict. So it doesn't even record something else if it could. I haven't monitored this to see when it happens, but I can confirm the shows were scheduled to record in the todo list 1-3 hours before (I usually check the todo list in the evening to know what is recording that night).

There's already a message for canceling a recording that doesn't match the settings or programming updates, so what does (15) really mean? What are recording permissions? So far, it has only affected TNT for me. Coincidence?

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Post time and channel, so more of us can try to parallel your experience/troubleshoot.

20. Insomniac2k

Insomniac2k AllStar

Aug 21, 2007
    Rizzoli & Isles, Channel 245, Tuesdays ~9p ET
    Major Crimes, Channel 245, Mondays ~9p ET

I deleted and re-added the series recordings for both today. Still no clue what "recording permissions" are.