1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR44 Upgrade and wiring question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tramm, Oct 29, 2013.

1. tramm

tramm Cool Member

Mar 30, 2007
    I am about to upgrade to a Genie (HR-44) and would like to get all my wiring laid out/planned out. I am also upgrading to a wireless client. The attached picture shows my current and future wire diagram. Any input is greatly appreciated. My intend is to minimize the number of wires/modules etc. Specifically, I am wondering how to connect my internet router when I switch to the HR-44 as the DECA module is no longer required. Do I just plug the router into the HR-44?

On a relate yet different matter....Since the HR-24 has a built-in DECA, can I add a DECO before the HR-24 and use the ethernet output for my Xbox? Would the HR-24 still receive an internet signal or would the cascading DECAs prevent that from happening?

Attached Files:

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, the Genie can act as a bridge to all your units, with just the ethernet cable into it.

Since you'll have a coax to each unit, you'll decrease wiring, as the ethernet cables can be deep sixed with whole home service. I'd recommend avoiding wireless anything if you can.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You will need a 2 way splitter and a DECA BB (with power supply). This is considered "unsupported" in DirecTV eyes. I will string an ethernet cable to the Xbox. and I would stay away, very far away from the wireless clients, at least from now.