1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR44 wifi better than usual bridge?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ed Campbell, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Not pressing; but, when HR44 installed, installer said since game bridge working fine no need to setup internal wireless. Any advantage to setting it up?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have not read any complaints of the wireless operation of the HR44 unless they were too far from the router.
    I would hook it up, if for no other reason to remove a piece of equipment from the line and another item to transfer data to and from.

If possible, I would plug an Ethernet cable directly into the HR44.

3. Hoffer

Hoffer AllStar

Jun 18, 2007
    I had ethernet plugged into my HR21. When I recently got the HR44, the installer said WiFi worked better. Coming hear, everyone says that is non-sense, which I'm sure it is. I haven't bothered to hook the ethernet back up, because I've had zero issues with WiFi. I connected to my 5GHz 802.11n network and it is more than fast enough for streaming On Demand or whatever.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Just as an example / similar but not exactly the same.
    I have a laptop that when I run a speed test on it I get 17mbs download, when I plug in an Ethernet cable into it I get 56 mbs.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Interesting! Repeatable? Can you use the speed in excess of 17 Megs?

6. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    And that could be the laptop or his payout at router causing the speed difference.

And DIRECTV will never need more than 17 so.....

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Comcast upgraded the speed from 25 to 50 and I was just testing. Before they upgraded I was getting 13 on the laptop wireless and not having any problems.
    Just for the heck of it I tried it both wireless and wired to see if it was the wireless part or the super cheap laptop I bout a couple of years ago.

My desktop, hardwired, was getting 23 and now it gets 56.

I checked the router specs this morning and it says it is supposed to be capable of 300mbs thru the wireless n version . It is a 2009 gigabit ( wired ).

Edit: I can tell a difference between the 13 and 17 when I try to play an HD video, and a huge difference wired. The 13 is jerky and pauses, the 17 still does it but not nearly as much, the 56 is almost instant and never stops.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Hmmmm. I would have thought a true and steady 13 down would give an excellent picture. Are you testing speed only with Speedtest.com?

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes.