1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR44

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mridan, Sep 24, 2013.

1. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    I haven't been on this site for a long time and I am not knowledgeable on D* new DVR's. I now have three DVR's and a SWM 8. I would like to add the HR44 with one client box, and keep one of my DVR's. With the HR44 and the existing DVR that would equal 7 tuners so my SWM eight should work? Is the HR44 their newest Genie, and will I get that model?

Thank You

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, that should work fine.

As to model, there's no assurance. (unless you buy from Solid Signal or other)

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yes, that would be 7, since the client doesn't have a tuner.

HR44 is the latest model, but there is no guarantee. You could get a 34.

4. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks for the replies! Are there any issues with the HR34? I have another question about the client box. Does it need an internet connection, or is it just connected with a coax cable?

Thanks again

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have a HR34-700. Issue free since I got it.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks for the replies! Are there any issues with the HR34? I have another question about the client box. Does it need an internet connection, or is it just connected with a coax cable?

Thanks again
    just a coax

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

7. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It'll get its internet connection via coax, and the '34 is not as fast as the '44 for some operations.

8. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks everyone, I just called D* and they're giving me the Genie and the client for free! I just have to pay $50.00 for installation plus $3.00/month for whole home service. They also put in the notes that I am requesting the 44. Install will be a breeze since I have the SWM8. Disconnect old DVR and connect coax, am21 and ethernet cable to Genie. remove second DVR and connect coax to client. Is there an option on my DVR that I am keeping that I have to select for whole home DVR? Do I have to select an option on the HR34/44 and the client for whole home DVR?

Thanks again

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks everyone, I just called D* and they're giving me the Genie and the client for free! I just have to pay $50.00 for installation plus $3.00/month for whole home service. They also put in the notes that I am requesting the 44. Install will be a breeze since I have the SWM8. Disconnect old DVR and connect coax, am21 and ethernet cable to Genie. remove second DVR and connect coax to client. Is there an option on my DVR that I am keeping that I have to select for whole home DVR? Do I have to select an option on the HR34/44 and the client for whole home DVR?

Thanks again
    unless you have an HR24, you will need a DECA adapter for the HDDVR.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

10. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, you will find these Network and Whole Home settings need to be redone after the install. Don't forget to "allow" other connections.
    Enjoy!
    The installer should install any DECA equipment you need. He may want to put in a CCK, or set you to wireless if you get the '44. Just let him do it, and then customized yourself when he goes.

11. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    It looks like the HR44 is being installed in the Chicagoland region. I just got off the phone with D* and told them I would cancel the order if the tech showed up with a 34. They put me on a lengthy hold and when they came back, they said I would get the HR44. # Fingers Crossed!

12. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    You're better off talking to the installer - hopefully they'll call before they come out. The CSRs can't influence if you'll get a 34 or 44. They may as well promise you that you have rich uncle that died and left you 100 million... It's on the way!

Unless you just can't stand the wait I would personally just cancel and wait for an HR44 if the installer only has 34s... http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/207462-the-hr44-from-an-outspoken-cynical-directv-critic/?p=3177021

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Ditto. I always have Directv have the Installer call me prior to coming out for my installation and then I tell them what I want and if they can't accomodate me I cancel the order and wait until the Installer has the Equipment I want such as the HR44.

Always has worked for me plus a morning install helps to ensure that they will have the HR44 on the truck when they arrive.

14. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    I have morning appointment, and will make sure they call to confirm appointment. Thanks for the tips guys! I forgot what a great forum this is. Very helpful and informative!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

15. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    Any special reason you don't want to swap your SWM8 for a SWM16 and keep two of your DVRs?

16. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    The DVR I don't need is in our exercise room which doesn't get a lot of use. We'll just watch recordings from the Genie or other DVR. Seven tuners is more than enough for our needs. All of our recoding conflicts are on our main DVR. Monday night football can't be recorded because recording other programs.

17. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I have a SWM8 with an HR44 and two HR21s. I set one of the HR21s to use only one tuner so I would not exceed the 8. It will still record two shows at a time if at least one is OTA.

18. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    I have a SWM8 with an HR44 and two HR21s. I set one of the HR21s to use only one tuner so I would not exceed the 8. It will still record two shows at a time if at least one is OTA.

I have two HR 20-700's, and an HR 23-700. How do you set up a DVR to only use one tuner?

19. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    I have two HR 20-700's, and an HR 23-700. How do you set up a DVR to only use one tuner?

Satellite setup. Right below switch type.

20. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    Satellite setup. Right below switch type.

Thank you, I'll look at it tonight.