1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HTPC & DVD

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by James Hill, Aug 9, 2003.

1. James Hill

James Hill AllStar

Jul 24, 2003
    When setting up a HTPC what do you suggest? Playing DVDs off of the computer or using a stand alone DVD player?

Has anyone tested this and noticed a difference in quality?

Thanks,

James Hill

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm currently playing my DVDs on my HTPC at 1440x480 resolution (as opposed to the max resolution you can get of 720x480 from a stand alone player), and the quality does look significantly better. Connected to my TV with a VGA-component transcoder.

3. James Hill

James Hill AllStar

Jul 24, 2003
    Thank you for the reply.

So if the picture is better, how's the sound? Are you running the sound out of the sound card on your computer to speakers, or to a tuner?

James Hill

4. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I run digital coax out from my sound card to my receiver for dolby digital and dts sound. :)

5. James Hill

James Hill AllStar

Jul 24, 2003
    Which kind of sound card? This sounds like a great setup.

James Hill

6. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I have an MAudio Audiophile 2496 card that has digital coax out. There are several cards available that are cheaper that offer SPDIF connections (either coax or toslink), and most motherboards these days that have onboard sound offer SPDIF out as well. That's all you need to get DD or DTS out to a receiver.

7. James Hill

James Hill AllStar

Jul 24, 2003
    Thanks for all the info!

James Hill