1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HUB Channel HD Now?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dally7777, Jan 15, 2011.

1. dally7777

dally7777 Mentor

Nov 19, 2008
    It now shows the programming for HUB (ch. 294) with the HD square for each individual program.

When I select list HDTV channels it doesn't show there.

It is currently broadcasting in 480 so I don't think it is actually broadcasting in HD.

Is it going live this weekend or is this some glitch?

Thanks

2. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    I wish it meant we were going to get the HD version, but probably it is just the stupid guide data having incorrect flags, or using the HD channel information for the SD channel. This happens quite a bit. We will see next Wednesday, but don't hold your breath.

3. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    A sign of things to come?

4. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I also had noticed that there were other channels guide info had the letter "HD." But these channels were also broadcasting in SD.

5. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    If only.

I really want to see some more HD offerings from our friends at DirecTV. I know there must be many legal hurdles to jump; but a little inforation from DTV giving us some hope would be nice.

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    It would be nice to have it in HD, I actually watch that channel.

It kinda makes me think amateurs are running it and they are so excited to have their own channel and think they are so cool with the way they use their bumpers. "We will be right back after these messages" and "And now back to our show on the hub" at every commercial break, with their little animated logo. :rolling:

They really want their presence to be noticed I guess! :lol:

7. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I'm pretty sure the FCC requires childrens programming to have bumpers separating commericals from shows.

8. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    AH! That explains it. I have been watching the wonder years so I didn't even think about children's programming. :lol:

9. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    It USED to be a requirement. I believe the law is still there but hasnt really been enforced since the 80's Doing a Google search seems to indicate the rules were relaxed in 1984.

10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    The HUB is targeted to children.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Not 24 hours a day. It shows prime time reruns as well. The Wonder Years was NOT aimed at children. Children are not nostalgic as a rule.

12. am7crew

am7crew Legend

Jun 5, 2009
    Wonder Years re-runs, i love them.

13. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Even though The Wonder Years is not a children's show, when The Hub launched they programmed the channel to be programming that is family friendly, they call the block "Family Prime" featuring programming that kids and families can watch together.

Since The Hub is co-owned by Hasbro, they go out of their way to make sure the distinction between commercial and program is there so they do not violate any advertising rules. So in addition to bumpers during all programming, they also make sure to not air any Hasbro ads during programs featuring one of their properties as well as stay under the hourly advertising limits, which is why they have a lot of extra promos. They also carried over Discovery Kids's policy of displaying the E/I logo during programming that qualifies, even though as a cable network they don't have to.

14. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Also Batman and Laverne & Shirley, I record them every night:)

15. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I like to watch Happy Days & Laverne & Shirley. It seems to me they edit something it seems. Their logo drives me crazy!

16. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I think the episodes are shorter. Back in the 70's there was less time per half hour devoted to commercials.

17. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Not sure if it is still true today but when I worked in the industry, it was not unusual to strip 30 seconds to a minute of the program for off-network reruns.

18. juventuz

juventuz Legend

Oct 15, 2007
    Hub HD has been live on other providers, I receive it on my local TWC. I also saw the HD icon in the program guide (I have both TWC and DirecTV) and thought that maybe DirecTV might have added it.

19. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The HD square is gone.

20. satjay

satjay AllStar

Nov 20, 2006
    Thats to bad, I think "Family game night" would be a good show in HD