1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hughes DirecTivo Reboots/Locks up on Local Stations

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Haze, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Haze

Haze New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I have a Hughes DirecTivo and have used it with my DTV service since 2003. It has worked great over the years and only once have I had to buy a new hard drive for it and I used Instant Cake to get it up and running. I am not using a high def television and I do not subscribe to any high def packages or channels. I've lurked these forums for years and chose to stick with my DirecTivo after reading about the problems many people had when switching to other DVR's.

I live in Indianapolis, have the basic package with DTV plus local stations (not through OTA antenna). Last year I started to encounter a problem where my Tivo would either lock up with a blank screen or reboot all by itself. I figured it was just a random issue, but I believe it is related to the local stations and I don't know why.

There are months in the year where my wife and I do not watch any programs on local stations. Both tuners end up staying on cable stations like ESPN, etc. Right now, we watch a number of major network shows like American Idol, Survivor, etc so the tuners end up on those stations and stay there until I change them.

This year I started making sure that I change the tuners back to non-local stations after they are done recording local shows. This works great and keeps the Tivo from locking up, but it is not always a practical solution and sometimes, like tonight, it locked up during Survivor. There are nights were it will record fine, the problem appears to be random but only when the tuners are on local stations (In Indy that's WRTV 6, WISH 8, WTHR 13, WXIN 59)

A search on Google turned up a forum where a group of North Carolina residents were encountering a similar problem and through discussion also realized it had something to do with their local stations, but I did not come across a solution to the problem.

I'm hoping someone here may have come across this problem or have a solution. If there is any other relevant information I need to post, please let me know. Maybe it's just time to switch to another DVR, but I sure have enjoyed and would like to continue enjoying my Tivo.

Thanks.
    -Haze

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    A while back someone in Fresno, CA reported the same issue with one of their local stations. Not sure if they ever found a solution.

3. Haze

Haze New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Happened again last night. One tuner was recording How I Met Your Mother and the other was recording Chuck. 5 minutes into the recordings the Tivo rebooted itself. I was around at the time and the reboot time was normal so I'm confident this is not a hard drive issue. At least Chuck was a rerun. :p

4. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    What a weird issue! I wonder what causes local stations to irritate your old DVR since there are millions of customers still using older receivers including units that receive the old program guide with no problems (other than a few missing channels).

Is there one particular local channel that causes the problems?

5. Haze

Haze New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    It can be any of the 4 local stations. The Tivo will either reboot itself, lock up as a black screen, or lockup with the picture frozen (as if paused). It is a random problem, sometimes you can watch a local station for hours and be fine.

If I am home and switch BOTH tuners to channels like ESPN and TBS the Tivo will keep running fine. If I leave it on a local overnight it is almost always locked up the next morning.