1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hughes GAEB0 RF Remote?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by itguy05, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itguy05

itguy05 Legend

Oct 24, 2007
    Looking to pick a used GAEB0 for a second SD only receiver (should have never sold our old one) and they are going for under $20 on Ebay. I see that they have RF remote ports on them. Having an RF remote would work perfectly for my application. Question is - can you still get the RF dongle or whatever is needed?

Thanks!

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Probably not from DIRECTV but if any subscribers here have an idea, feel free to chime in.

3. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    The white RF directv remotes will never control the hughes via RF. Nor Sony or RCA RF receivers. If you're thinking that. :(

4. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, you're going to need 2 parts - the "RF dongle", which is what Hughes called a "sharkfinn" receiver, plugs into the RF jack on the back of that receiver - & one of the Hughes original RF remotes. Hughes sold these as a package, but discontinued making these several years ago. (they actually made a couple more generations of receivers after this, which then they stopped making receivers altogether)

I've got one of these at home - I could get you a part# & then your best bet would be to try to find it on E-bay as well. (sorry, but I'm keeping mine - probably for the same reasons you bought a used one :) ;) )

5. itguy05

itguy05 Legend

Oct 24, 2007
    If you could get the part#, that would be great and I'd much appreciate it.

I'm assuming the fin is more than just an antenna, right?

I'm thinking of either finding this part or getting one of the IR/RF extender dongles.

6. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    OK, FINALLY found it - the Hughes part# on the kit box is HACC-HRMC9.

HRMC-9 is the model# of the RF remote that comes as part of this kit, which also includes the sharkfin dongle. It just plugs in back of the receiver & requires no external power supply.

I do want to tell you, do be aware that these RF remotes do not have the separate SELECT button under the joystick, like the latest remotes from Hughes did - you press down on the center of the joystick to execute SELECT.

Good luck on your quest. ;)

7. ganjamaster

ganjamaster Cool Member

Jan 18, 2007
    i have a few of them with the shark fin

pm me

8. ganjamaster

ganjamaster Cool Member

Jan 18, 2007
    remote model hrmc-6 also works with RF by the way.

9. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
  10. itguy05

itguy05 Legend

Oct 24, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. I got the one unit and it was pretty much DOA. Would hang on Searching for Signal, press Menu to access other functions.

No presses of any buttons would work - not even power.

Guess I'm out $18 (not that big of a deal) as it was AS IS.

So I have another on its way from a seller with a no-DOA policy.

Once I get that in place, I'll search for remotes again - from what I found, some places want almost $80 for the fin + remote. That's INSANE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.