1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hughes Receiver Losing Signal Each Night

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by Okie Engineer, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Okie Engineer

Okie Engineer New Member

Jun 26, 2004
    I recently have encountered a weird problem with my Hughes GAEBOA DirecTV receiver. The past four nights at around 10:45pm Central time, I lose signal across the board on this one receiver. The first night I was able to regain signal within 15 minutes, but the last couple of nights I have had no such luck. I have to wait until early morning before signal is regained. I have an oval dish with an RCA DVR receiver and an old Phillips receiver in the house that show no such behavior. I originally thought the problem was with my multiswitch, but I cannot make the receiver act up during the day at all (trust me I've tried). I switched outputs from the multiswitch recently and still only the Hughes receiver acts up. Does anyone have any advice? Is my switch going bad, or is there something DirecTV or my receiver does at this time that is going awry.

BC Stillwater, Oklahoma

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    You have multiple receivers and only 1 receiver has the problem, you changed ouputs on the multiswitch and the problem stayed with the receiver. I would say the problem is in the receiver but why it is happening at that time of day I don't know. Any chance of a timer set for 10:45?

3. trancephobic

trancephobic New Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Not sure where your located but has the past few night been cooler than normal. this may sound weird but if you an f connector that was improperly install or a cheaper crimp connector the cable may shrink in the cooler wheather cause the center copper to temporally lose connection and than when the wheather warms back up the cable will expand and the connection will resume like normal.

matt

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Wow trance - that is brilliant! Thank you! That goes in my answer bank for sure!

It might not be what he's hitting, but sure is plausible.

Oh - and welcome aboard! Glad to have ya here!

5. Van

Van Legend

May 3, 2004
    Initialy it sounded like a tempature sensitive LNBF or switch, but it may be something else if youve done all that youve done. My question is where is the reciever located at? Ive run into issues where a faulty appliance had put out a bad frequency in the homes wiring that disrupted one or more recievers, it sounds like this may be the case as you have stated that this problem happens everynight around the same time, this indicates that something is coming on around that time frame. Also its possible that there may be some terrestrial interference thats localized such as a radar detector, ham tower, nearby cell tower, EMS tower. It may be worth your while to investigate into these possibilities.