1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hughes SD DVR-40

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JJgarcia, Nov 25, 2012.

1. JJgarcia

JJgarcia New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Can I use this device as a recorder only? I have Direct TV, can I hook it up inline and use it as a recorder only???????

Thanks

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Not sure what you are asking... Are you trying to record non-directv content with it?

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No. The DirecTV/Tivo DVRs can only record satellite channels.

4. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Look into getting an OLD Replay TV. One that is lifetime activated. You can record off cable, sat or OTA. You can still get LIVE guide data too. I have one and it works fine. You would need a STB however for recording from DirecTV.

5. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
  6. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Certainly not as convenient as an integrated Tivo/DirecTV DVR, but workable.