1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hulu And Boxee Plugins For Wmc

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by bonscott87, Feb 16, 2011.

1. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yes, you can indeed have Hulu and Boxee launched from within WMC.

First off you need to install Hulu Desktop and make sure it's configured and runs. Also note your MCE remote should work with Hulu Desktop unlike the web site.

Same goes for Boxee, install their app and again configure and be sure it runs and works with your MCE remote.

Then install the plugins found here: http://teknowebworks.com/

This should add Hulu and Boxee to your WMC menu. Note you may need to go into the Extras Library to find them. You can of course use something like Media Center Studio to move them or create your own entry points on your custom menu strip.

Then for example when you launch Hulu it will close WMC and launch Hulu Desktop. Best part is when you exit Hulu Desktop it will bring WMC back for you. This makes it very friendly to use for others in the house.

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    sounds more like a switcher than a plugin..
    would like to see more integrated addons for it..

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yea, but that's pretty much not going to happen unless MS and Hulu make a deal like with Netflix. These plugins were much praised a year ago because they returned you back to WMC and were "clean" unlike many attempts before them.

It would be cool to see something like Media Browser for Hulu with full integration but I just don't see it happening. SecondRun TV tries but it pretty much fails because it loads (or tries) the web browser player into WMC which doesn't work all the time and prone to crashes.

4. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    PlayOn works w/ hulu, and there are front-end programs that can be integrated into WMC for viewing, such as tubecore and one more who's name I can't recall.

The hulu desktop launcher from teknowebworks is great; i've used a couple other similar programs and none are better. Its easy to place into the WMC strip using Media Center Studio. You can also use this program to change the icon.

I have mine setup in the TV strip as shown in the pic :
    [​IMG]