1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hulu may soon require you to be a cable/sat subscriber

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Trendy2, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Trendy2

Trendy2 Mentor

Apr 16, 2007
    http://gigaom.com/video/hulu-pay-up-or-wait/

Saw this item a few days ago during talks of Hulu's sale and I'm still worried that it may come true. I love my Hulu Plus subscription and it pairs well with my Netflix subscription since I don't have any sort of cable or satellite programming in my home. I enjoy being able to watch The Office and other shows the day after they air on network tv and this would be a huge bummer if they go this route.

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Agree. I don't see the big deal whether you wait 1 day or 8 days especially if you are using the free version because there are ads inserted.

I can't remember but do you have ads using Hulu plus?

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Honestly this wouldn't effect me since most shows we watch on Hulu are already on a 7/8 day delay or even a 30 day delay. They are "cable" shows and almost all have that restriction. Heck, some of the SyFy shows are moving to a "no episodes until the end of the season" thing. And right after Comcast took over, imagine that.

The "network" shows though are typically available next day and we only watch those if our DVR recording is messed up somehow (like half the screen with weather warnings or something).

Not sure any of these cable companies or networks understand that they aren't going to force me to pay for cable/sat again unless I want to. All they are doing by making things more restrictive is actually drive people to Bit Torrent or other means instead of getting it legally. Amazing how stupid these companies are.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yes there are, the same amount. I've tried Hulu Plus twice and it's a total waste of money.