1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hulu Plus Coming to Kindle Fire

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Athlon646464, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    "[font="Arial]Still steaming over Netflix's recent shenanigans and couldn't care less that it's going to be available on the Kindle Fire you pre-ordered? Well hey, you have options, and Amazon just sent us word that Hulu Plus is joining its selection of several thousands of apps that will be available on the Kindle Fire next week, provided you're down with the $8/month subscription."[/font]
    [font="Arial]
    [/font]
    [font="Arial][url="http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/hulu_plus_and_espn_scorecenter_coming_kindle_fire_too"]Full Story Here[/url]
    [/font]

[​IMG]

2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I would be very interested in getting this but being severely disabled I wouldn't be able to use my finger to operate it. Do any of you know of any devices that I could use holding with my mouth to operate the touch screen? Here is what I use to type on my PC and on every remote in my house Straight Wand Mouth Stick

Thanks

3. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I did a Google search for 'mouth stick for tablets' and came up with a few hits, including this one:

http://www.broadenedhorizons.com/gaming/touch-input-mouth-stick

4. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Thanks, what is it about the touching of a tablet that makes it work? I wonder if I could change the tip of the mouth stick I use now to make it a conductor? Any ideas would be appreciated

5. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Excerpt From Here :

"But what about if you have no movement at all but can use a mouth stick or a head pointer? Well I’ve done some experimenting and you’re in luck! I took some aluminum foil and wrapped it around the tip of one of my mouth sticks (covering the entire eraser tip). Then I pressed the tip of the mouth stick up against a flat, hard surface to flatten out the aluminum foil at the tip. Would you believe this worked? It doesn’t work as well as the stylus but if you play around with it a little bit it’s certainly enough to operate simple applications such as Stanza. On occasion, I have actually gotten it to work well enough that I could do swipe gestures and even type messages with the on-screen keyboard! When using an iPod touch in this manner you want it to be on a flat, hard surface and you might need to actually press a little bit as opposed to just lightly tapping like one would do with a stylus or a finger."

6. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Thanks, great to know. I will be looking into this

7. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    NP, I'm pretty good with Google. :)

Let me know how you make out!

8. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I Google'd it and still haven't found all the info you gave here. What I'm thinking is having someone MacGyver my extra mouth stick by Duct taping a stylus to it. Do you know if your fingers have to be touching the stylus to make it work on a touchscreen? Thanks again

Edit
    I think I will order this amPen Ultra-sensitive Capacitive Stylus for Kindle Fire

9. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I'm no expert, and only know what I've read about it today. There is conflicting info about that issue. I think it depends on what your pointer is made of. Having said that, I don't see why it wouldn't work if you were touching it with something other than your fingers, as long as you are touching it.

10. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I will let you know how I make out if I buy the Kinde Fire, thanks again

11. Jazz308

Jazz308 New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    East...

I came across this handy gadget...if it actually works as touted it would be a super great help to you as well as a cool thing to have for others!

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/78951?promo=search

Good luck!

12. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    That looks like a neat gadget

13. mistyjazz

mistyjazz New Member

Apr 9, 2011
    I love HuluPlus and I love my Kindle. I recently started researching the Kindle Fire. I ordered one and I must say it is very fluid but the one thing I don't like, and this is a biggie is that they did not include a 3G connection. So If I want to watch Hulu, I must be near a wi-fi area.

In my house that would be fine since my entire house is wi-fi. And yes, I know there are a zillion places that offer free wi-fi. BUT, and this is a big one....there are places I would LOVE to use my kindle that are not in a wi-fi area.

So yes, I can use my kindle but I can not use Hulu or any other streaming content if I am in an area that doesn't have wi-fi and since I have a cabin that we go to without cable or antenna, so no tv.... a 3G connection on my kindle fire would be a welcome addition.

They didn't include 3G with the kindle fire to keep the weight down is what I have been told. True? I don't know. I do know that it couldn't possibly have added THAT much more weight.

So, though kindle fire is a great gadget for the price and HuluPlus is coming to Kindle which will be great since that is how I follow my favorite tv shows, I am disappointed that Amazon didn't include a 3G or 4G version. :(