1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hulu Starts $9.95 Subscription Service

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by DirectMan, Apr 22, 2010.

1. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
  2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Big mistake. I do not imagine myself ever paying for that service.

3. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Yup.

Hulu: "We made money with our current model and rather refine that, we will change the way we do things because we think we can make more."

I hope they fall flat on their faces.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'd also like to mention that many of the programs Hulu plans to charge for are available through Netflix, and without commercials. I didn't see that article saying that "Hulu Plus" content will be commercial-free.

We all knew this day would come and I just don't expect this to work for them.

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Maybe the contrary. Hard to tell from the wording about Hulu planning on going to the same commercial loads as the networks. Doesn't say that is for the newer, still free shows or for all including the Hulu Plus ones.

The crappy part about Hulu commercials is that you cannot skip or FF through them.

Sooo, come to Hulu. Pay us and we will force you to watch commercials. Or get a DVR and FF or skip to your heart's content.

Hmmm.

6. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    There was no way they could keep their current model and be profitable long term. They may see some slight increase in revenue but it will fade. Netflix and OTA are still better alternatives. Their market maybe people that travel a lot and dont have access to anything other than a laptop and for that their is the Sligbox. We will see. Someone in their marketing department feels they will be able to get away with charging so time will tell.

I wanted to add that if I could get better streaming from Netflix and a service like Hulu I would personally use it over any pay tv service.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I'll have to see exactly what they offer in terms of extra episodes and back catalog before I'll pay. But I have no problem with it at all if it provides value to me. However, if they increase the commercial load to what is on actual broadcast TV *and* that is also forced upon those that subscribe then no, I will not pay for it. I'll just make sure I catch things during the 5 episode window as it exists today. Even then, if the commercials become that bad then we'll just wait 6 months for Netflix to get it and stream it via Netflix if available or just get the DVDs.

This coming from someone who doesn't have any PayTV provider and has just OTA, Netflix and Hulu for all TV shows.

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    One thing that caught my eye in the article was that the TV folks don't want to be stuck like the music people with pirating. Gee, Hulu was doing well with the model it had. Imagine, free TV with commercials. That would never work (unlike it worked for 60 years!).

So, what do they do. They slap a fee on it all and add more commercials. THAT is their solution to lower revenues because of pirating? Driving more people to WANT to pirate??

9. bakerfall

bakerfall Godfather

Aug 23, 2006
    I'd just like to point out that almost all current shows on Hulu have only had 5 episodes for years, as determined by the networks. I don't get the uproar over this as it's more of a value add then it is charging for what is currently free.

10. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Im glad you posted cause i followed your previous posts about your transition to non-pay tv. I personally dont mind pay tv and if services like Hulu and Netflix would provide a good quantity of streaming I would do it and leave all paid services. (i know different thread). But there isnt enough on these sites yet and I rather pay than having to wait for a dvd in the mail.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Because it is the start. Hulu has plans to go fully pay. This is how they start it off.

Edit to add (and clarify who I was responding to): Maybe you missed this part:

"train viewers to pay for online access to professionally produced content."

12. bakerfall

bakerfall Godfather

Aug 23, 2006
    I don't believe this to be accurate and your statement is based solely on your own personal speculation. Hulu has a small profit margin as it currently exists and the networks want some free streaming options as many of them have their own on their site, in addition to Hulu.

I only use Hulu for missed recordings and travel as it is, if they chose to become a solely cost based provider, there are many other free options available.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Sorry, I added something to the previous post.

this was from the article:

"train viewers to pay for online access to professionally produced content."

14. bakerfall

bakerfall Godfather

Aug 23, 2006
    It's still speculation on the writer's part.

Regardless, if you are correct, there are many options available to those that want free content. OTA, Networks on streams, bittorrent. Legal or not, people that use Hulu as a free provider to watch current episodes are not going to pay for something they can continue to get for free by other means.

15. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    I didn't use it much when it was free.

16. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I have never used hulu before and dont plan to start now.

17. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Ditto.

18. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Yes, I agree. That was my point. This will drive people away rather than bring them to Hulu.

Hulu should have been advertising its product and they could make some real money on commercials that cannot be skipped as the eyeballs increased. They had what OTA and cable channels do not have....a way of making commercials run (they can't force someone to watch them but they can make sure they are not skipped over). That was their competitive edge for making money, not charging customers.

BTW, the way it is written is not writer's speculation. Seems to be pretty much a direct quote without the exact words quoted.

19. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I don't know how this could possibly be a surprise to anyone (I've been posting about sites like Hulu going subscription for over a year). These TV shows are not free to create, and the websites and bandwidth is not free to the networks.

Sure, they made a small profit off Hulu because the content was already largely paid for, and the ad revenue covered costs and left a small profit. But TV networks don't spend millions to produce content to end up with a SMALL profit; they do it to make big money. Plus, the networks know very well that Internet distribution is the future (even if it's not fully ready today), and they also knew that they needed to give stuff away to create a brand and get people used to using them. But those days were always numbered.

Hulu clients are now built into important pieces of hardware and software, which means that they have a big advantage. The next step will be to offer HD programming at a premium. People will grumble as they reach for their wallets, but folks want HD and it's proven that they'll pay extra for it.

Hulu is largely unnecessary IF you can get OTA service (many can't) and IF you have yourself a nice OTA DVR to capture your shows for time-shifted viewing, again something that most don't have. Hulu is otherwise a convenience, and it's one a lot of people will pay for.

20. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I checked it out when it first premiered, but I honestly can't recall the last time I went there. As far as Network shows go, the Thursday night NBC line-up is all I need, other than Sports, and I can record that via antenna in HD. It's fallen into the same category for me as Joost, something I craved and embraced in the beginning, then fell into irrelevance.