1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hunger Games

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by fluffybear, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1 of 28
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    My 9 year old daughter has just been invited to a "HUNGER GAMES" birthday party. Since I have not seen "The Hunger Games" nor do I have the time to watch it before this weekend, I was hoping that those who have seen it can tell me their opinions on if this movie appropriate for someone of such a young age.
    I have looked at a couple of the trailers and personally see nothing wrong but Mrs. Fluffybear on the other hand is on the fence. I guess she has never forgiven my telling her I saw nothing wrong with "Blair Witch Project" either.

2. Sep 5, 2012 #2 of 28
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    A Kid from each formerly break-away region participates in the reality TV show The Hunger Games as part of a continuing punishment for the region's rebellion. The kids kill each other until there is one winner left. Not for most nine year old kids.

3. Sep 5, 2012 #3 of 28
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
  4. Sep 5, 2012 #4 of 28
  5. Sep 5, 2012 #5 of 28
    fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    All of these are great sources of information and they have provided me with a great insight to the movie and even consider wanting to watch it some evening. However, what I really am looking for is if 'John Q Public' would let their tween watch it and why?

6. Sep 5, 2012 #6 of 28
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    My wife watched the movie last week.

She says she wouldn't let our 9 year old son watch it, because it's all about a battle to the death. The whole premise is being the sole survivor and there's a lot of kid on kid killing with axes and other brutal implements. It's not like a ghost story or make believe, because it's appears to be actual kids killing other kids.

7. Sep 6, 2012 #7 of 28
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I would not allow a nine year old to view the movie or attend the birthday party and I would take a second look at the parents hosting the party and question their sanity.

8. Sep 6, 2012 #8 of 28

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Absolutely agree.

9. Sep 6, 2012 #9 of 28
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    "May the odds be ever in your favor."

And Nine sounds very close to the German word Nein, which is translated to no.

10. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I've seen it and enjoyed the movie. However, I wouldn't let my 8 year old son watch it. I think there's too much violence and gore involved. When he's older (like maybe 12 or 13) and can understand what the movie is about, then I will let him watch.

11. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    Usually, when a book is made into a movie, the story changes a LOT in the movie. I read the book before seeing the movie and was pleasantly surprised how closely the movie followed the book.

I did not see anything particularly bad for a 'tween' in the movie (or the book). It is certainly much less violent than the average computer game these days. Both my 10 and 12 year old grandchildren read the 3 books in the series and watched the movie. No problems and they enjoyed both media.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We just watched it and I'd consider it inappropriate for a 9 year old. We enjoyed the movie, but thought it was too short (at slightly over 2 hours) to really reflect what's in the book. My wife read the book, I plan to read it this week. Even without reading the book, I could see how condensed it was. Probably should have been a trilogy such as The Lord of The Rings was.

Great cast, beautifully filmed but it seemed crammed into those two hours +. All in all, we enjoyed it, but I'm really surprised that someone would want to have a party with kids that young with that particular movie as the centerpiece of the party.

Rich

13. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    It all depends on the child.

Twenty years ago I saw moms renting Freddy Kruger movies for six year olds. I guess none of those former kids are on this forum...

I would want my child to watch it with me for the first time before sending them to such a party.

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Birthdays are a time of celebration. For a child they are a time for happiness and joy. I fail to see how a "Hunger Games" theme based party accomplishes this.

15. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    My daughter saw it a month before she turned 12. But she had read all the books in the trilogy which I thought was important. She knew what was going to happen.

And while there is violence, it is not the graphic slasher film violence. A mature 9 year old can handle it. An immature 13 year old might not. It is all about knowing your kid.

16. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    Your last paragraphs is key, so it will be up to each parent to decide whether or not their child should attend the party. But I fault the parents of the birthday boy/girl for forcing the other parents to even have to make this decision. As mentioned above, a birthday party is not the place for a movie of this type, and the birthday boy/girl may find that a lot of other children who would have otherwise attended the party will instead send regrets. Why would the parents hosting the party even want to get into that situation?

17. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    How many of us, as adults, would consider attending a Running Man party?

18. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Because they either 1) Don't know any better. My kid saw it so every kid can see it, or 2) They don't care. It is all about what their kid wants and they will do whatever it takes to make them happy.

We have done a couple of birthday parties at a local theater. They have a party room and and the kids all have a good time. But we make sure the movies are age appropriate for everyone who is invited.

19. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    or 3) or both A & B

To be fair, one could take their child to the party after the movie but that can create some 'social' issues for the child which the parents have not considered.

Personally, I can not imagine a group of 9 year old girls sitting through this movie or a movie of any kind.

20. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    You might be surprised. We did Furry Vengeance for her 10th birthday and Hannah Montana for her 9th. All the kids watched movies without issue and had cake in the party room. There was some girl giggling, but they were all good.