1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Hyperlinks won't open in Chrome

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Lord Vader, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    At work, IE is really quirky and messed up. We can't open our Email using Firefox, so many of us installed Chrome to surf some education-related websites. That works fine. However, one thing we've noticed when using Chrome, as we read the curriculum guide of our district and browse through the numerous hyperlinks the guide contains--links to videos, PowerPoints, and more--whenever we attempt to click on a link, nothing happens. Moreover, the cursor doesn't even turn into that hand & finger icon that is common when one hovers over a link in IE or FF.

We're forced to go back to IE to enable these links. Is there something intrinsically wrong with Chrome here? We've been trying to figure out what to adjust in Chrome's settings, but nothing appears to be related to our problem.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Are there any extensions loaded in Chrome?

3. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I don't believe so.

4. ub1934

ub1934 Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    UpState NY
    Having the same thing with Firefox 16.02 :mad:

5. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    A Google forum mentions that the Hyperwords extension causes this problem. There are other possibilities: Google "chrome won't open hyperlinks."

What version of IE are you using? IE 8 is a bit slow loading but is working fine on my XP desktop.

6. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    We're using IE8. BTW, the same problem is, in fact, occurring with FF as well. I can't even open .pdf files in FF.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Seems to me like some sort of security issue with the computer. I can attest to the fact that Chrome works just dandy for me.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Probably time to upgrade to a Mac....:preach:!devil12:

A more level-headed idea now in this post, have you rebooted?

9. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I don't think you'll see school districts doing that anytime soon.

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Allen, TX has... computer labs are all gorgeous desktop Macs. Teachers have iPads. Another buddy works in Arlington, TX and always has his school issued iPad on him.

11. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Many districts have labs with Macs, and many districts distribute iPads to all staff members. All the schools in which I worked had labs with nothing but Macs, but these were done primarily because they were for engineering courses, CAD classes, etc., where Macs outperform PCs any day of the week. Districts do not, however (with rare exception), utilize Macs throughout their system (offices, classrooms, etc.).

12. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Is Chrome still 32bit?

13. ub1934

ub1934 Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    UpState NY
    Had this with Thunderbird not Firefox , did a sys. restore to two weeks ago & all is fine now , hope this helps .:)

14. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    LordVader - do you have a laptop at work? If so, can you take it home with you, and does Chrome work there?

15. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Yes, Chrome works at home, as does FF.

16. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Then I doubt it's your PC - it's probably something in the setup of the work network. Call your help desk.

17. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Next time I suggest you try this on any unhighlighted link- with the mouse (click) the right button and drag it over the link, Then right click the Now Highlighted space and select "search or go to" a new tab should open :)

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Me too. Schools must have some kind of blocking software that keeps kids from accessing undesirable sites. My library does that with their computers.

Rich

19. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    They do, but that isn't the issue. The district has their curriculum guides online, with hyperlinks embedded in the guides. Using Chrome or FF doesn't allow us to open the links. However, using IE is fine.

20. orlandoawilliams

orlandoawilliams New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    WestDC - "on any unhighlighted link- with the mouse (click) the right button and drag it over the link, Then right click the Now Highlighted space" seems to do the trick. Thanks!
    I wish I knew why I have this problem. My issue is also with a local public school district's website...