1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

I-70 Utah: No bull, no service for 106 miles

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From Deseret News:

No bull, no service for 106 miles
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

Several people have pointed out that there are places to turn around on I-70 between Salina and Green River. Still, if I'm traveling there, my plan: Salina/Green River is a mandatory fill-up point.

Of course, everyone here knows that already, right? RIGHT?

From Google Streetview:

Green River going west:
    "No Services on I-70 next 106 miles" prior to exit 160
    "No Services on I-70 next 100 miles" after exit 157 (US-6/US-191)

Salina goes east:
    "No Bull" Billboard
    Blurred Blue sign.... no services? (Thanks, Google)

2. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    My 1995 Astrovan gets 6 MPG. I keep it basically as a mobile parts shed when I infrequently go out on big installation jobs. Thank God it has a huge gas tank - 28 gallons - because with even a 20 gallon tank, I'd be cutting it awfully close. Back during the gas shortages of the 1970s, I commonly had to allow for a 70 mile journey from Concord, New Hampshire to Hanover with no service available in between... and with no cell phone. I had a 1973 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, which had the third worst fuel milage of any car ever tested by the EPA, and the only two that "beat" it were a Lamborgini and a Ferrari, And the Custom Cruiser had that screwy electric rear door that contracted to under the rear deck, necessitating a smaller than standard gas tank. When the performance of my 455", 4bbl V-8 (the only engine available) functionally deteriorate to a V-3, I was probably only getting 4 miles to the gallon and could barely make the 70 miles.

3. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    No service for 106 miles....and for many years no cell service either.(Personally, that's a good thing!!) I know this section of I70 well. We've spent several vacations in the region. Going from East to West, it crosses the San Rafael Swell, a beautiful geographic area of Central Utah. We have camped, hiked, mountain biked and explored many parts of the Swell. Unbeknownst to most travelers, a mile or 2 North or South of the hiway are spectacular vistas and deep canyons, all accessible via the many "Ranch Exits" along the route. My advice, fill up in Green River and set out for a day of exploring, you'll be impressed whats available just a short distance from an Interstate!!!

4. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    If you do a YouTube search for I-70 Utah or I-70 Colorado, look for driving time-lapse videos by FreewayBrent, FreewayJim, InterstateKyle, or ScrewdUPClickV2 to get an idea. I have a planned road trip where I plan to drive those those sections.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    My mom and dad had the '72 version of that Olds Custom Cruiser - it could pass everything on the road except a gas station, especially when towing a 5000 pound travel trailer and the whole family. I seem to recall it got a bit better than 4 MPG, however....

6. Phil T

Phil T DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I have driven this section of highway many times. Usually get gas In Grand Junction or Richfield. Have bought gas at Green River (Arby's in the gas station). I don't ever remember the mileage between stops ever being a big deal for me.

I did enjoy this sign on I-15 between I-70 and St. George Utah though:

DSCN0109.JPG

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I have driven it several times as well.. I felt that there where stretches in texas along the 10 that where more remote.. :)

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No Bull sign on Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rstevens/2399116712/

My van can go 300 miles on a full tank ... I've driven more than 400 miles on long trips at highway speeds. I'd probably fill up in Salina or Green River (depending on direction of travel) if I was past the 200 mile trip mark.

The good news is gas in Salina is $3.199 or $3.499. Green River is $3.349 or $3.399 depending on the station. No $4.999 rip off prices such as near the Orlando airport.

9. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I think the EPA highway figure was 6.7 or 6.9 MPG, but I had severe engine damage that reduced my performance to three or four cylinders. Because of that,I was also getting just 40 miles to each quart of oil.

I once got it up to 117 MPH with three passengers in it.

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    The others jumped out???

11. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I was just reminded that US-6 between Tonopah, NV and Ely, NV is 167 miles between gas stations. This may be the longest distance between gas stations in the continental United States.

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Sounds like there's a good business opportunity about half-way between.

13. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    That's what I was thinking, but getting the infrastructure to the middle is the hard part....otherwise someone would have already done it :smoking:

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    It's a paved US highway near a missile range and there are a couple of airstrips along there. Shouldn't be too much trouble. I would think the airstrips would have aviation fuel. Maybe not.

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    And if I'm reading right, half-way appears to be in Nye County. According to Wiki, brothels would be legal there, but there are none currently. Maybe a full service facility?

16. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    There is extremely low traffic on that route.

17. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I can vouch for that. We made that trip once in August on our way to Yellowstone Park. I made sure we had a full tank of gas to start with. Nice views and not too hot.