1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

I can't believe what the installer did over two years ago!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by timothy2001, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Mar 1, 2014 #1 of 35
    timothy2001

timothy2001 Cool Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Long story short when I had DTV installed almost three years ago I just figured out that the installer cut my coax cables in my house to suit his needs, disconnected my pre-wired and remodeled two story garage and connected the second dish to that existing coax.

Thought I would post here before I take it up with DirectTV, I am certain I don't have proof but there is nobody else who has been in my attics or installed anything that has to do with cabling.

Now I am moving my office out to my garage (work full time from home and internet is vital provided by Comcast) and I need internet in my garage and have no way to get it there. DirectTV is running over the coax in my house and garage that was intended for internet.

I can remember tipping the guy very well too, little did I know he screwed me.

53 years old and still don't know enough to not be taken.

Unreal.

2. Mar 1, 2014 #2 of 35
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Um, can you explain a bit more how you had wired things and how they are wired now? There is always a way... ;)

3. Mar 1, 2014 #3 of 35
    swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    Isn't it common for the installer to use existing wiring if available and it's up to par? Did you tell the installer to not use the wiring? How was he supposed to know that it was "intended for internet" in the future?

It doesn't sound to me like the installer did anything to intentionally screw you.

4. Mar 1, 2014 #4 of 35
    timothy2001

timothy2001 Cool Member

Jul 31, 2011
    You bet and I appreciate that there is always a way. In the garage the coax from the internet source to the exterior connection through the wall is gone and in its place is the feed from the dish that was installed. Instead of running new cable they used the coax intended for the internet. I wrongly assumed they would run their own cable.

In the house it's just a mess. I had to purchase a tone generator to try to figure out why I had no continuity to all of my coax outlets and come to find out there are multiple cut cables in the attic for what reason I have no idea.

My issue is this; I want to have (need) wired internet in the house and in the garage and maybe this is for a different forum? Cable modem and router in the house and maybe I just need to split the coax feeding the house and run a new cable out to the garage to feed those outlets and get a router and modem out there. Sheesh. A lot of trouble and expense for that model, technology maybe could accommodate a different way.

5. Mar 1, 2014 #5 of 35
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Your cable company should run it for you.

6. Mar 1, 2014 #6 of 35
    timothy2001

timothy2001 Cool Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Your probably right, I should have paid closer attention to what was going on too.

7. Mar 1, 2014 #7 of 35
    Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    Give yourself a break. Go to a simple end game. Hire a qualified electrician to run cables to where you need them. It might be more money than you want to spend, but your pain will be over soon.

8. Mar 1, 2014 #8 of 35
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Cutting prewired cables without explicit permission seems to be too much ... perhaps the installer misunderstood you?

As far as Internet, I'd expect the cable to enter the house, go to a cable modem, and then be distributed from that point to where it is needed. But I understand that in a cable ready home an installer might install the cable modem elsewhere in the home (wherever a cable outlet is handy). If the cable outlet has been repurposed for a satellite system the cable internet installer would need to run their own cable or find a different location for the modem.

Can the cable modem be placed elsewhere and Ethernet be used to get the service to your office?

9. Mar 1, 2014 #9 of 35
    timothy2001

timothy2001 Cool Member

Jul 31, 2011
    I may be able to move the cable modem to another location and then feed the distribution for the Ethernet but it's still got no way of hitting the garage.

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I get decent wireless connections to a computer in a free-standing hobby room next to our alley. The distance from Verizon's router to the back building is about 50 feet.

11. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I am missing something here?

Some one had to run a cable, DirecTV didn't do it, why not let the cable tech do it.....

12. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Wait, you already have a modem in the house and you want a second one in your office? Unless you have two separate setups because of your business, I don't think they will let you have more than one modem per account. Maybe what you actually need is cat6 wire run anyway? And use switches, not routers?

13. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Not sure how it is with the other cable providers but, comcast will let you have as many modems as you what on your account as long as you purchase a data plan with each one. I know a family that currently has 4 of them on one account... they also have 9 teenagers in the house!

14. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    Should have never tipped him, you wouldn't be as disappointed.

15. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012

16. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    What do you mean by data plan for each? You mean they charge a separate account fee per modem?

17. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Unless you told them otherwise, I would think that any tech would assume that you would want them to use the unused pre-wired cable rather running additional cable, which wouldn't be run inside of walls.

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You really have to stay on top of them. And don't tip them unless you're absolutely positive the job has been done correctly. I made those same mistakes and getting an installer who knows what he's doing is rare. If you know what you want and don't keep an eye on any contractor, you're probably not gonna get exactly what you want/need.

Rich

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wouldn't you think the installer should have asked first? That's like an electrician splicing into an existing wire and assuming he can use it without causing any problems.

Rich

20. scr

scr AllStar

Feb 5, 2008
    I recently had HD installed and offered the installer a tip and he politely declined the offer saying it was against the company policy.