1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i get no video out of hdmi or component

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hjscm, Sep 10, 2009.

1. hjscm

hjscm Cool Member

Mar 11, 2007
    when i reboot the dvr ( hr20-700) and only have hdmi hooked up i get the welcome screen and everything else until it is finished then no video or audio. same thing with component, when i use composite everything works fine but no hd
    thanks

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I've lost HDMI on my HR20-700, but a reboot has had it return.
    Your boot screen is in 480, so is there any setting in your TV that might be the cause?
    What happens if you tune to an SD channel and/or change out of native on and change output resolutions?

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Maybe your HD DVR is outputting a video resolution that your TV can't handle? What happens if you press the Format button on the remote? Or the RES button on the front panel?

4. hjscm

hjscm Cool Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Everything was working fine. the tv use to be able to handle everything except 1080p i just bought a new led sammy and i am going to install it this weekend but worried about ird. i tried all the format outputs on the front. i don't even get audio out of hdmi. it is like it is not outputting anything from those ports. thought it would be strange for both to go out. if it went out it shouldn't give me the boot screen would it?

thanks for the replies

5. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    just thinking out loud, maybe setting native to on and use original format might work. still seems, to me, like its a format issue with HD on the tv itself.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This is a new one. Wonder how this will play out? Never a dull moment. :lol:

Rich

7. rob5819

rob5819 AllStar

May 25, 2007
    I've been having a similar, but not not identical problem, lately with my HR20-700. I've had this DVR for three years with hdmi, component, and composite all connected. Over the last few months periodically it will stop outputting on hdmi and component, but continue working on composite. Rebooting always brought my hdmi and component back instantly. I also found out that turning off native (even though I had had native on for almost three years) and manually changing the resolution fixed it. It had actually stopped failing for the last few weeks, but has started again now that I got the 0x34c upgrade (although I do not actually think they are necessarily related, just that the reboot after upgrade made it come back).

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Is that the only HR you have? If you have another one, just swap them and see where the problem comes up. If it follows the HR, the problem is with the HR.

Rich

9. rob5819

rob5819 AllStar

May 25, 2007
    No, I have two other DVRs setup exactly the same, connected to the same TVs. I have swapped cables between them and the problem stays with the HR20-700. I had a thread about it a while ago with all my details (http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=162610). Since there seems to be an easy fix for me (use format button to change resolution) I have decided to live with it for now. Just thought it might help the original poster get closer to figuring something out in a similar scenario.

10. hjscm

hjscm Cool Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Well i hooked up the new tv and everything worked fine. so i plugged in the old tv on the floor and same thing on component and hdmi all i would get was the splash screen. its an hdtv and everything was working fine till the other day. i was planning on getting a new tv but this had no influence on it. now another problem but at my parents house. they have slim 5 lnb. 3 days ago they get searching for signal on tuner 1. now today all there ird went out. no signal on any of them. i was there and just watching tv and boom everything went out. the dish is fine has not moved no wind. very strange. no switces involved just straight of the dish.

thanks

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I have a similar issue with HDMI and my non-DVR (H21?) HD Receiver. Components work fine, but HDMI appears dead. I know HDMI port and cables are good with the new HD TV since my laptop works with the HDMI hookup to the TV and I've tried 3 cables of which I have verified work with other components and the TV. I'm ok with using the compenents as this is a 720P set, but it means I cannot watch the oldish DVD player using the components, only S-Video. Luckily I don't use that DVD player too often.

12. nance

nance Cool Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Hi, I just had a similar problem with connecting to my Sharp the other day. I couldn't connect using either HDMI or component since upgradel Turned out that I finally reset the Sharp Aquos without anything connected and finally got component, and composit to work. (I wonder if it had anything to do with the upgrade on the DVR that occured)--I still can't use HDMI on this set, (although the HDMI does work to my Toshiba which is in a guest room). I have reset the TV and DVR and tried all res using Native and turning it off using cables that work with other HD (BluRay and Tivo HD3) on multiple inputs of set and still can't get picture. Guess component with the extra wires it is better than nothing....