1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate my HR23-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by farmdwg, Aug 17, 2010.

1. farmdwg

farmdwg Mentor

Feb 5, 2007
    This is such a dog of a box. I can tell you that my old iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0 is FASTER than this dog. You press a key and it will take 30 seconds for the menu to pop-up. It's like, I'm busy, you will have to wait...

When is DirecTV going to get their act together and give us what we want... A real DVR running Tivo!:mad:

2. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Have you called DTV to go through their trouble shooting proceedure?

3. farmdwg

farmdwg Mentor

Feb 5, 2007
    What are they going to do? Ask me to restart it? Been there done that.

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Fine. Just hate your box. It's your life.

If you want to fix it, you'll have to call DirecTV. And the problem is fixable. I have never once had my HR23-700 take 30 seconds to respond to a command. Or 20, 10, 5 or even 2 seconds to do so, outside of some MRV tasks which might take a few seconds to complete.

I personally would not put up with that crap.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Carl Spock is right. I had an HR23 for 2 years give or take and it was never that slow. Oh, it was slow sometimes but never that slow.

6. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    If its that bad, call and ask for them to replace it.

7. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Mine is no dog.

Of note: I found it's much faster when I turned off "sharing" on this unit (whole-home).

I agree: time to make that phone call.

8. nitsudima

nitsudima Cool Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I have to admit that the prospect of calling DTV to ask for tech support is not a pleasant thought. Are there steps that can be suggested here to help speed things up? Turning off sharing is a good start. What else can be done? Personally I'd consider calling DTV only as a last resort.

My HR23 is slow at times, but still very usable. But I wouldn't mind having some tips if things do get too bad.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you're connected via ethernet, restart with ethernet disconnected. If you're using an AM21, unplug it and reboot to see if that's an issue. If you're close to 50 series links, try deleting unused ones to see if that helps.

Sometimes a simple rebooting twice within 30 minutes can solve problems.

Beyond that there are hardware tests you can run but we'll get there if the previous steps don't have any effect.