1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have 3 DVRs connected with CAT5 to gigabit switch. Want to switch to HR34 and save.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dandar, Feb 23, 2012.

1. dandar

dandar New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    I have CAT5 cables ran to each of my DVRs (2 CAT5 cables in each location, 1 for DVR, the other for XBMC to NAS)

Would replacing the 3 DVRs with HR34 and 2 HD receivers result in saving of $11/month? 3x7=21 vs 7+3(for whole home dvr)=$10

Would I be able to set/delete recorded shows from any of the receivers?

Will directv charge me extra for returning the 3 DVRs and getting the HR34?

Roughly, when will it be available to existing customers in Connecticut?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No. The monthly cost would be the same (HD DVRs cost no more per month than HD receivers if you still have at least one DVR).
    Yes.
    No.
    Roughly any time you want to pony up for one (a professional Whole Home DVR Service installation may or may not be required). You need to consult with DIRECTV on this as they may be more or less willing to give you a deal.

Unless you have an unnatural desire for doing remote maintenance of the sceduling on the HMC, you would almost certainly be better off to keep two of your existing HR2x rather than throwing that investment out in favor of non-DVRs.

3. dandar

dandar New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    The other reason I was willing to get rid of the DVRs was that it's annoying to have to delete shows on one that I already watched on the other. Would whole home DVR service consolidate all recordings into one list?

4. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 Godfather

Sep 14, 2002
    Yes, it does this.

Im still under the impression that you can get whole home DVR service without having an HR34. Perhaps I am wrong in that idea? If you dont need the HR34 to do it, then you should be able to consolidate all of your current DVRs.

Im in CT and just got my HR34 installed yesterday, and I still have 3 HR2X DVRs as well. They all play nicely on the DECA network.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It would.

At the same time, you wouldn't need to record the same programs on multiple DVRs if you had WHDS (with or without the HMC).

6. dandar

dandar New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Might as well bite the bullet and get WHDS then. Thanks for advice everyone.

7. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 Godfather

Sep 14, 2002
    I would intend on keeping your DVRs for the time being, that way you'll get a SWiM 16 installation.

Then return the DVRs at a later date. Plus it gives you a chance to watch stuff from them while you are setting up series links on the HR34.

8. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    If you have SWM right now I'd just order 3 White DECA boxes off eBay (if you don't have HR24s) and plug them in for about $20-30 and call up and ask them to enable whole home.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But, even with whole home, with multiple dvr's you don't have a consolidated to do list, each has to be managed individually directly from the box. But yes, you can delete a recording remotely.