1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a couple of easy HR34-related questions...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Patrick G., Feb 15, 2012.

1. Patrick G.

Patrick G. Legend

Sep 9, 2002
    My HR34 arrives on Sunday, but I'd like to clear up a few points of confusion I have:

Here's my current setup (whole-home DVR):
    • One HR24-200 in main viewing room
    • Five H25-500s in other rooms
    • SWM8 Multiswitch
    I plan to just swap the HR24-200 for the HR34 so I don't have to pay an additional monthly DVR fee (unless you can think of a compelling reason why I would want to keep it knowing I will never need to record more than 5 channels at one time).

1. Does the HR34 have a 1 TB hard drive?
    2. Do the HR24 and HR34 use the same power supply/cord?
    3. Will I need to upgrade from the SWM8 to a SWM16 given that I will now have a 5-tuner DVR + five H25s (does this equate to 10 tuners)?
    4. When scheduling a series recording from one of the H25s, will it allow me to set recording options, or can that only be done when scheduling directly on the HR34?

Thanks in advance!

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    1. Yes
    2. Yes (80% sure)
    3. Yes
    4. Don't know.

3. MrLatte

MrLatte Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    Why not move the HR24 into one of your other rooms to give you 2 additional tuners and as a backup DVR if the HR34 goes down? Your monthly fees will be the same - the DVR is per account not per receiver. Only downside to keeping it is you can't setup a recording from the HR24 onto the HR34. You can only do that from receivers not DVRs.

4. Bartman94

Bartman94 Legend

Jan 17, 2012
    DTV charges $6.00 per month for each additional receiver in your home. So if you keep your HR24 there will be an additional $6.00 monthly charge on your bill.

The HR34 has the WD10EURS internal hard drive installed which is 1TB. The HR34 is also expandable to up to a 2TB hard drive.

Your installer will upgrade you to SWiM16 system because with 5 H25 units and 1 HR34 you will have a total of 10 tuners (the HR34 has 5 by itself). If you keep your HR24 you will have 12 tuners total.

The HR24 and the HR34 have identical power cords.

You can schedule a recording on the HR34 from any of your H25's, but you will not be able to change any of the settings remotely. You will need to make those changes directly from the HR34 itself.

If you have any other questions about the HR34 just fire away as I've more than done my homework on it - LOL. I absolutely love my HR34. It's a beast of a unit and the only thing it's missing is the new HD Guide and that will come soon enough!

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    That's wrong. Swap out a H25 instead.

3. A SWiM-8 has a 8-tuner limit. It tuners, not receivers. A SWiM-16 has the same limit for each leg.
    4. You can't set DVR options from a H2x

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    To add to what people have said, I'd dump a h25 too and go with four h25, one hr24 and one hr34. The costs is the same net as five h25 and one hr34.

Any program you schedule remotely from an h25 box will use whatever default record settings you have set up in your hr34, just as the hr24 you have now does.

Do you have an iPad? If you set recordings from it, you can set options for recordings with it. ;)

7. Patrick G.

Patrick G. Legend

Sep 9, 2002
    Thanks for the responses, guys! The small size of the H25 is a huge advantage for me, which is why I'm leaning towards letting the H24 go. In all but my main viewing room, where the H34 will reside, I need a receiver with a very small footprint. The only place I really don't need the small footprint is in my bedroom, but if I moved the H24 in there, I wouldn't be able to watch and record programs to/from the H34 from my bedroom, correct? This would be a bit of an inconvenience, and negatively affect the WAF. And since I'm getting conflicting responses here, can you please clarify whether or not turning over an H25 and keeping the H24 (along with the new H34) will add another $6/month to my bill?

8. Bartman94

Bartman94 Legend

Jan 17, 2012
    You need to add Whole-Home service and then you will be able to watch your recorded programs from either one of your DVR's (your HR34 or your HR24) on any one of the other receivers at any time.

You will not be able to set up recordings on your HR34 from your HR24 (only your H25's, or the iPad/iPhone/Android/Online apps can schedule remote recordings).

If you turn over one of your H25's in exchange for an HR34 then there should be no additional receiver charges.

9. Patrick G.

Patrick G. Legend

Sep 9, 2002
    I already have whole-home DVR service. And I didn't think about scheduling from my iPhone, which I do when I'm out of town. If I can set series options from there, that's what I'll do.

10. Patrick G.

Patrick G. Legend

Sep 9, 2002
    Oh, and does the H34 have the old or the new UI? If old, will it be getting the new UI?

11. Patrick G.

Patrick G. Legend

Sep 9, 2002
    Oops, I just re-read Bartman94's post: "It's a beast of a unit and the only thing it's missing is the new HD Guide and that will come soon enough!"

Do we know how soon?

12. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    When it's ready!!
    It's still in beta test, and there are still some issues with the software...

13. Bartman94

Bartman94 Legend

Jan 17, 2012
    Yeah I'm calling D* corporate today to search for a more definitive answer on when the beta testing might be completed on the HD Guide software update for the HR34. The corporate office is way more knowledgeable than anyone you'll reach at the toll free number. They provided tons of info on the HR34 long before the toll free reps had a clue. For now all you will here is "sometime in the future" which helps none of us - LOL. I'm working on it though and will report back as soon as I have new info.

14. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Ther is no problem watching recordings made on the HR34 from the HR24.

15. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    You really think calling "D* corporate" today is going to make the HD Guide firmware available any sooner? :confused:

It will be released when it's ready, which is probably "pretty soon" ;)

16. Robotpedlr

Robotpedlr Cool Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I am in the same boat as others (considering a move to the HR34). I currently have two HR24s (living room and bedroom) and would like to dump them both and just use the HR34 in the living room (main viewing tv) and a smaller form factor non-DVR HD box in the bedroom.

But I assume that without a dvr box in the bedroom, I will NOT be able to pause live TV (only pause shows recorded on the HR34). Is this correct?

17. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Yes, but he can't schedule recordings on the HR34 from the HR24 (or vice versa), if that matters to him, and that function doesn't appear to be a high priority.

18. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Not until there's an RVU client box. But it won't cost you anything to keep an HR24.

19. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    yes

20. Robotpedlr

Robotpedlr Cool Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Thanks for the quick replies.