1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a question I can get answered

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by skierbri10, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skierbri10

skierbri10 Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    I am getting my HR20 installed today and again the installers say that my locals are still not available throught the HR20. The only thing that I know is that the locals in Honolulu, where I live are broadcast in MPEG4, and that another guy at the installer shop said they are waiting on a software upgrade to get them. The thing I am confused about is everyone else in other markets that have locals on MPEG4 are getting thier locals, it should work here too. I just don't get it. Apparently, the locals work on the H20 here, but why wouldn't they work on the HR20? I am very confused here.... :confused: :nono2: :mad: :nono:

2. skierbri10

skierbri10 Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    Anyone else have this problem?

3. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    They SHOULD work on the HR20 if they are on the H20. Ive never heard of them being available on one box and not the other of the MPEG4 boxes. That sounds nutty if you ask me.

4. skierbri10

skierbri10 Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    You know what I was thinking, I bet the installers have been installing the B-band converter either wrong or they are faulty. I am going to wait until after the install and mess with it. I bet I can get them working. I wonder if I do get them working if I should tell the installers? :lol: Anyway, thanks for the response, it doesn't make sense to me either, and BTW the Faiders suck. GO CHIEFS...... :grin: :lol:

5. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Your right about the B-Band converters that is very possible. On my box I have them installed. Some have had better success with them off. However next year they will be necessary due to the new sats going up. Just wait till the end of the season smart guy. The true Raiders havent even begun to fight!!!!!!

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  7. skierbri10

skierbri10 Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    This is all I got:

DIRECTV Now Offers Local Channels in Hawaii; Local Honolulu Stations Roll Out Today; Will be Available to Customers Throughout the Hawaiian Islands

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 8, 2005--DIRECTV customers in Hawaii now have access to their local news, weather, sports and prime-time network programming - all in digital-quality picture and sound - as DIRECTV rolls out local Honolulu broadcast stations, including ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox, throughout the Hawaiian islands beginning today.

With the launch of local channels in Hawaii and three other markets later this month, DIRECTV will offer local channels in 142 markets, representing more than 93 percent of U.S. TV households.

"Many customers in Hawaii who have had few options for the reception of local programming, are now able to view their favorite local news and entertainment programming via DIRECTV," said Dan Fawcett, executive vice president, Programming Acquisition, DIRECTV, Inc. "New satellites and advanced technology have enabled us to provide most viewers in Hawaii with a complete lineup of DIRECTV(R) programming for the first time."

DIRECTV customers will be able to access their national DIRECTV programming and local channels in Hawaii by using a new DIRECTV H20 receiver and a 1.2-meter dish. DIRECTV receiving equipment is available at independent retailers and can also be ordered directly from DIRECTV by calling a dedicated toll free number at 1-877-897-8131.

Information on how to order equipment is also available at Blockbuster stores, and beginning next year, the new DIRECTV receiving equipment can also be ordered at Best Buy and Wal-Mart locations.

The new receiving equipment and live local channel feeds can be viewed at The Satellite Guy, an independent DIRECTV dealer in Honolulu beginning Dec. 12.

The following local channels are available via DIRECTV in Hawaii:

KHON (FOX)/Channel 2 KHET (PBS)/Channel 11

KITV (ABC)/Channel 4 KHNL (NBC)/Channel 13

KFVE (WB)/Channel 5 KIKU (IND/UPN)/Channel 20

KGMB (CBS/UPN)/Channel 9

DIRECTV, Inc. is the nation's leading digital television service with more than 15 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV (NYSE:DTV) is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment services. DIRECTV is approximately 34 percent owned by News Corporation.

Robert Mercer, 310-964-4683

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

8. wmschultz

wmschultz DBSTalk Club Member DBSTalk Club

Jul 18, 2006
    Those are the standard def MPEG 2 locals.

9. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I wonder if the Hawaii locals are sent using the KA frequency (hence the need for H20 or HR20)... not that they are available in HD yet.

10. Guindalf

Guindalf Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    Sorry to burst your bubble, Dan, but the Raiders will be no good until they get rid of Al Davis (or he dies, which is more probable) and get an owner that will let the coach coach!

11. serenstarlight

serenstarlight Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    Currently the HR20-700 is not able to receive the standard locals, dtv is working on a solution. HD locals in Honolulu aren't even in our database yet for potential markets to come.

12. skierbri10

skierbri10 Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    You mean just in hawaii?

13. wmschultz

wmschultz DBSTalk Club Member DBSTalk Club

Jul 18, 2006
    He means OTA.

14. skierbri10

skierbri10 Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    BTW you should see this monstrosity of dishes they are putting on my house. I would take a guess they are not compliant to that whole FCC regulations on requiring landlords to allow the dish.

15. skierbri10

skierbri10 Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    What about just locals then, I was told :rolleyes: by DTV that I need this box to get locals and a DVR. That was last January and I have been patiently waiting to get this box. If the H20 can get them then the HR20 should be able to also.

16. skierbri10

skierbri10 Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    I will post the pics of this dish "arrangement" when the installer is done.

17. tigerpaw78

tigerpaw78 Cool Member

May 27, 2006
    Now I'm confused. I followed a link to lyngsat.com to see what sats carried what channels, and this says Honolulu MPEG4 channels are on Spaceway 1 (102.8, is that otherwise referenced as 103?) So if they aren't really there, are my Washington DC mpeg4 locals available to me? I have an install set for Oct 7. Any info is appreciated.

18. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I'm confused by your question. What does Honolulu have to do with DC?

19. tigerpaw78

tigerpaw78 Cool Member

May 27, 2006
    Nothing. I'm just concerned that I will not have HD locals via the HR20, which is the whole point of me getting it. The lyngsat site says MPEG4 channels are available for both Honolulu and DC, but some of the above posts now say that honolulu MPEG4 isn't available per the Directv web site. I just want someone to say that yes, I will have DC MPEG4 HD locals when I get my HR20 on Oct 7.

20. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Come on now...let's stay on topic here!

(And everyone knows the Chargers rule the AFC West :hurah: )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.