1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have no idea what my physical/Street address is.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Inkosaurus, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Im at a total loss here. I have no idea what it is. I live a little bit out of town(like litterally 100 feet) and the address is still dated. It uses a rural route address and thats fine and dandy... except websites cant find this address nor can any services that i want to set up like getting a new ISP.

I checked my electricity bill and oddly enough its just addressed to the highway thats right in font of my house, same for the other utilities.
    Dish network is just addressed to my rural route.

I tried to use google maps to find my address but its just giving a approximate address that doesnt seem right at all. Im really kind of lost here and would really like to actually get my address, do you guys have any suggestions?

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Post Office

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Call the county. If you are outside of the city limits they should be able to provide you with an address. Inside the city limits the city should be able to provide you with an address. 911 likes to have physical addresses to respond to that are more accurate than box x on route y. Someone in your county should help find you a unique physical address.

An example: A business site I set up for an employer on a county road. There came a point where someone we were doing business with (the state) needed a physical street address. So I did the research and found out that in that county one visited the sheriff department, filled out a form and picked up a small flag. One placed the flag in the center of the proposed driveway (or to the edge of an existing driveway), filed the form and waited. Within two business days someone would drive by and assign an accurate 911 address to the location.

4. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    County assessor's office, or whoever you pay your property taxes to. They might have a physical address associated with the parcel ID or legal description.

5. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    The electric company assigns addresses in many rural areas.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What state and county do you live in?

7. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    If you live outside a city's limits, it's your county's responsibility. Your county is apparently lax in assigning street addresses. 911 services really need street addresses, as do most delivery services.

8. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Texas , willacy county.

And thanks for the advice guys im going to go visit some of these local offices to pick up some info :)

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    How odd.

What does it say on your drivers license?
    Deed?

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Your county doesn't have their property or tax records online.

However, you can try this link. I went to that page and then selected Property Search. Type in your name and then select the 'view details' on the far right of the screen. It has the mailing address; hopefully that isn't your PO or RR address.

If this doesn't work, you'll have to go to your county offices as previously suggested. Good luck.

11. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I played golf last year in the very remote Nebraska sandhills. Courses's address was something like "Milepost 20, Highway 97, Mullen NE"

12. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I thought when the 911 system was fully implemented that rural & odd addresses were to be a thing of the past.
    I know when we lived in Minnesota, we received a post card in the mail from the county informing us that effective on this date, our new address would be.
    However, when I had someone come out to service something, I was always asked, "What's your Fire Number" as locals were more familiar with the fire number system.

13. cclement

cclement Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 22, 2004
    I grew up in rural Minnesota, and my parents just switched from Route 1 address. And you're right, we gave out our fire number much more often as a point of reference than our address. I still remember my dad always telling people, F-238. Ahh, the good ol' days!

14. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Worst part was this new address system was to aid 911 but I know the one time we had to call 911 several years after this system was implemented, one of the questions asked was are you located at fire number xxx.
    When I had something shipped to the house (quite often in rural Minnesota), I always had them include the fire number in the address. Just made things that much easier for the drivers.

15. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I actually think rural address can be easier to find vs addresses in a city. At least where I live. When 911 came though a redid all the addresses, your house number became the distance from the road's origin. So if you lived 1.5 miles out Oak Creek Rd., your address was 1500 Oak Creek Rd. Made it much easier to find houses, or at least be in the area.

16. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    That actually makes sense, by no means could a government official came up with it. ;)

17. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    My parents have the same type of address in PA. They live way in the country, only address is Rural route. even using GPS there is no address.

18. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I would say physical addresses are on the way out. Just use GPS coordinates.

19. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Don't think that would work out to well in multi-occupant dwellings ;)

20. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Thats fine and dandy for telling someone how to get to your a house. But its a logistical nightmare when trying to set up service initially. Especially over the web using a system that relies on street/physical address's.

By the way i got my real address, post office worked like a charm. Thank you everyone :)