1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know RV installs are old but...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by rpk3, Apr 26, 2011.

1. rpk3

rpk3 New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Well, here it goes-

My family Is a direct tv subscriber for over 5 yrs. 3 tv sets are what we have on our home package. How many receivers are you allowed to have with Direct tv?

Reason: We want to add direct tv for our RV (not running) so our grandson can have access to TV this summer while visiting. We already know that we need another dish. (Because non running rv does not yet have a dish and is over 500' from the house). As well as a receiver. We have decided not to go hdtv because it’s a simple flatscreen unit with qam, ntsc, and pal tuners built in. I guess what I am trying to get at is:

new dish suggestions? (tripod, dome, used unit)
    receiver suggestions? We would prefer to buy outright. (I am thinking ebay for this)
    Also price-what would you pay to get this does for a reasonable cost?

Then finally, ethics- even though direct tv has a policy on adding (“rv’s”) to an account. They still must pay an additional account cost because the unit is technically classified as mobile. However, This old 1973 Airstream does not run but has been fully gutted to an apartment style visiting quarters. Therefor- “RV” in our opinion remains geared toward units that can still be “mobile”.

What would you do?

2. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    The number of recievers is only limited by your budget.

DirecTv pretty much considers any single family piece of acreage at the same physical address to be one account, without regard to the number of buildings or RVs on blocks. The only issue would be the install, as a general rule they only provide whats required for a standard install, one dish in most cases. The installer could likely sell you a second dish with installation or you could do it yourself.

Matt likely has some used equipment and shoud be along shortly.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    For SD only, you could use the standard round 18" dish and an SD receiver (D11 or D12) or SD DVR (R15 or R16). The only exception to that would be if you do not get your SD locals via the 101 satellite. If you provide your location, we can advise where your local stations are.

4. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    Go to best buy, Cosco, Walmart, etc and buy a standard reciever connect to your exesting system and call in to activate it on your exesting account as an additional reciever located in bedroom. Buy a dish install at the 'rv' and u good to go.

5. rpk3

rpk3 New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks Folks- Great to be a part of dbstalk. Going with an 18" satellite from ebay. Going to install myself. Oh yes, my location is 87010- New Mexico

6. kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx Legend

Dec 26, 2009
    Zip Code: 87010
    Receiver: DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Receiver
    Dish: Multi-Satellite Dish
    Satellite Position: 119

Your locals come off Satellite 119 which means you will need an 18x20 Dish. a normal 18" Dish WILL NOT work if you are wanting Locals in your "rv"

7. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    He can't do that; as they don't sell the receivers anymore at any retail chain store. He must either buy it directly from DirecTV or from one of their online merchant resellers such as solid signal, etc....

Personally I'd suggest calling DirecTv as they they can discount or even give the receiver for free in some cases; however keep in mind that it signs you up for a new commitment agreement at the time of activation.

If you'd like not to have to start a new commitment; another avenue is to search for and aquire a used "OWNED" unit of somewhere like this forums for sale section or possibly even ebay. If you go this route, make sure you chaech the receiver ID number with DirecTV to confirm it is indeed an owned and NOT leased unit with a zero balance.

8. rpk3

rpk3 New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    thanks for the info!