1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

I looked at my bill: Being charged for HD and lost a credit.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mynameisjason, Apr 26, 2013.

1. mynameisjason

mynameisjason Cool Member

Dec 21, 2011
    From the time I signed up with DirecTV (Dec 2011) I have been on autopay. They charged my credit card on the 24th of each month. Honestly, I never looked at the price they took. Just saw DirecTV. Which, is now a mistake I see.

I thought being a new customer I was to get HD free for life. Or at least 24 months. It hasn't even been 24 months and I am now being charged? I went back to past statements and have been being changed HD for the past 3 months (January was free, Feb-April was charged).

Also (which isn't as bad as the HD one) when I first signed up I was getting a 24 month credit of $5 per month because of a install mixup (the rep told me it was going to be $10 at 12 months but whatever). As with the HD it was last credited in January.

The only thing I have done to the account was add the HD Extra Pack in February, but turned those off because nothing was being watch on them. Did they honestly take away my credits because of that?

I know, call DirecTV. Just complaining.

2. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    I went to my hotmail account yesterday which I almost never check and found an email from Directv congratulating me on signing up for the Protection Plan (I didn't). I contacted them through the website (I turned off my phone and hate making calls from my cell at home). A few hours later I got an email from Directv apologizing for the mixup. They removed the Protection Plan from my account. They also noticed that I was being charged for whole home service (which I already got into it with a CSR because I couldn't get it through her thick Indian head that I didn't need it) when I already had a genie, so they removed that as well.

Yeah, I know, that was a pretty convoluted paragraph. What I'm trying to say is if you don't get satisfaction from a CSR, contact them through the website. It's easier to read a complaint than to have someone explain it to them over the phone in what may be their second language, if ya ketch my drift.

3. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    The last four months of my HD free x 24 months, I had to call each time to get the proper credit. Every time they would acknowledge that I was suppose to get the credit and every time I called the claimed the issue was now fixed, but it never was, I had to call every month.

4. mynameisjason

mynameisjason Cool Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Was able to talk with someone, and they were able to get everything taken care of. So, I am happy with that. No clue as to why it stopped giving the credits. System glitch I guess.

5. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Make sure you check it again next month. I was told everything was "fixed" but it never was.

6. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    it may have been a glitch cant really say for sure without looking at the account.

7. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah funny how the glitches always seem to go in their favor.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, you could call the continuing ability to have a three month free preview of HD Extras for years a glitch.

9. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Well if you got a glitch in your favor would you go around bragging about it, or just be quiet hoping it happens again?

10. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Easy not everyone catches the supposed error.

Strange, that these types of billing errors are 99.9% in favor of the big corporation.

11. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    I've seen some glitches where someone added HBO and ended up getting a new customer offer again. Now that's a glitch!

12. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Technically the genie requires whole home service to stay on the account...

13. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Only if you are a new customer.

14. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Actually no. Per policy, whole home service is required to stay on if the Genie is on the account and there is another piece of HD equipment. It can easily be removed but it's not really supposed to be.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Wasn't there another thread where the customer started getting charged for MRV and he sent an email and the response he got back was that it was only required for new customers so they removed his?

16. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Nope. It is all customers. When placing an order the required disclosures even say "whole home services are required....can not be removed"
    D* does not have agents taking calls in India. They outsource to the Philippines.

17. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    And I'm willing to bet anything it will be automatically added back on quite soon to the OP's account!

18. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    I don't know about automatic but Account Management will add it back eventually.

19. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Exactly. "older" customers (accounts) get billed for DVR, HD and WHDVR services separately. These customers DO NOT pay (have to) for WHDVR if they only get the Genie. Newer customers get all the services in one "convenient" fee. Thus the pay the fee regardless.