1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

I love Directv, but the Sonic Tap really sucks.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by postalguy1, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1 of 127
    postalguy1

postalguy1 New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Been listening to Sonic Tap "8-Tracks" for about two weeks now. Whoever is in charge of programming obviously wasn't even alive during the late 60s and early 70s because they only play a fraction all the great songs that were coming out almost daily at the time. They fill in the rest of the time with absolutely horrible 'filler' songs. Filler songs are all the garbage songs that come with the album you had to buy just to get the one or two hit songs that you wanted.

The record company's dirty little secret was that if a group had several really good songs, the companies would spread them out across multiple albums to make more money. Used to piss me off that I had to buy a whole album just to get the one song I liked. Sure, there were some exceptions with super groups where almost all the songs were great, but they were few and far between. At least now with itunes you can buy just the songs you want most of the time, although I found a few that were only available with the album.

But anyway, the 8-Tracks channel plays all the crap songs that the radio stations of the time would never ever play because they would go bankrupt from lack of listeners. It's probably programmed by some minimum wage kid who was told to just fill up the time with whatever was on an album from back then.

2. Mar 6, 2013 #2 of 127
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Well, you can always change the channel. :sure:

3. Mar 6, 2013 #3 of 127
    mark40511

mark40511 Legend

Jul 18, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Wow -

Perfect example of why you need REALLY thick skin when posting on an internet forum!

2 people like this.
  4. Mar 6, 2013 #4 of 127
    bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    And likewise you can just ignore the thread if you don't have some meaningful input.

If the threadstarter has access to broadband, then Pandora could prove a better option since it's more customizeable and you can skip songs you don't like.. But, yeah, I agree, SonicTap didn't impress me. I have cable now and I don't use the MusicChoice channels.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mar 6, 2013 #5 of 127
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    The horrible quality of Sonic Tab is not news to anybody here. It was a cost-cutting move by D*.

I haven't listened to it in at least a year.

6. Mar 6, 2013 #6 of 127
    Mike_TV

Mike_TV Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    Sometimes I feel like I'm on the witness stand when I post here. There are many hardcore pro-Directv customers and employees here ready to pounce on anything that you post.

7. Mar 6, 2013 #7 of 127
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I subscribe to Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL Sunday Ticket, and MLB Extra Innings. That gives me access to over 1000 channels. Do I enjoy or watch every channel I have access to? No. In fact I could care less and do without many of those channels. But unlike the OP and others I don't come here and whine about it as though it were a major crises in my life! :rolleyes:

8. Mar 6, 2013 #8 of 127
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    When I listen to any of the music channels, 8-tracks is one of my favorites. The equivalent station from XM days was something like Deep Tracks. It was intended from my understanding to be lesser heard tracks off albums from many of the biggest bands back in the day. Sounds like its doing exactly as its supposed to. Sorry you don't care for it, maybe one of the other classic rock stations would suit your tastes better.

9. Mar 6, 2013 #9 of 127
    Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    SONIC TAP is like MUSIC CHOICE and they both ARE BETTER THAN SIRIUS/XM which are now both crap!!

10. Mar 6, 2013 #10 of 127
    Sandra

Sandra Legend

Apr 16, 2012
    Do you just go into any thread that discusses any channel with this pearl of wisdom? Must be fun... :rolleyes:

Sandra

1 person likes this.
  11. Mar 6, 2013 #11 of 127
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    When you've lived as long as I have you'll learn that having fun is far better than whining. ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. Mar 6, 2013 #12 of 127
    Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    I have Sonic on DTV and Sirius/XM in the car. I actually prefer Sonic over Sirius/XM. I especially like Sonic's Malt Shop oldies which is my favorite Oldies channel.

FWIW I am not yet paying for Sirius/XM. It came as a freebie with my new car and has been free for 8 months so far. I will not pay for it as nothing on the service is worth much.

13. Mar 6, 2013 #13 of 127
    Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    Many of us here have Fun whining.... :lol:

14. Mar 6, 2013 #14 of 127
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    How very true. And as I have posted many times, one man's candy can be another man's poison.

15. Mar 6, 2013 #15 of 127
    Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Cripes - my wife has sufficient broadband in her new Ford to listen to Pandora.

16. Mar 6, 2013 #16 of 127
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Don't listen much to the music channels, and suspect most of my clients don't either.

I'd like Sirius/XM as an option on DirecTV, particularly the comedy channels, but I don't suppose there is much demand for that.

(I am aware of the internet aspects of the D*, but it is just so much more convenient to just flip to a particular active channel. I'm in a rural area with slow expensive internet access)

17. Mar 6, 2013 #17 of 127
    Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I stopped listening to the audio channels when they switched to Sonic not because of content (never got that far) but because the sound quality dropped. It was like going from HDTV to a well rented VHS tape....

I haven't gone back to listen since - I assume the audio quality still sucks - or have they upped the bit rate since?

18. Mar 6, 2013 #18 of 127
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Exactly, he is complaining about the station doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Here is Sonic Tap's description of the channel:

Deeper cuts from Classic Rock along with some of your favorites. A mix of Classic Rock from the 60's and 70's and unexpected treasures from some of the seminal albums of that time.

The "filler" tracks as the OP calls them is exactly what this channel is all about. If he doesn't want to hear them he should be listening to one of the many other stations that play the "hits" from the 60's and 70's.

1 person likes this.
  19. Mar 6, 2013 #19 of 127
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My beef with DirecTV's music channels was that they tiered the channels. The music channels are a cheap add-on and should be available in all packages.

However, DirecTV's main focus is TV channels.

20. Mar 6, 2013 #20 of 127
    RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Actually I'd prefer that they make them an optional package you need to pay for. Since Pandora came out I never use the Sonic Tap channels any more.